Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove upper steering column shroud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove upper steering column shroud?

On my '96 Grand Marquis, I can't figure out how the shroud comes off with the lock cylinder in the way. There's what looks like a line in the plastic where you would think it snaps together in two pieces but closer examination reveals that it's evidently just a mold mark in the plastic....so how does the top shroud come off??? Thanks.
    David
    1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
    14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....

the bottom should come off, but you will have to remove the key cylinder to get the top off. there should be 3 or 4 screws from the bottom and one on the right side in the back (behind the knee panel)... all #2 Phillips.

to remove the key cylinder, push in the little pin (located where the hole in the lower cover is that no screw goes into) with the key in the run/on position and pull the works out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      to remove the key cylinder, push in the little pin (located where the hole in the lower cover is that no screw goes into) with the key in the run/on position and pull the works out.
      Ahh....that's the secret. Many thanks!
      David
      1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
      14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....

Comment

Working...
      X