Headrest removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headrest removal

What do I have to do to get the headrests off? I need to remove em to put my seat cover on, but I don't wanna tear anything apart 'till I know wtf I'm doin. :P

'89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

pull

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

you gotta pull the seatback off. heres a reply from 2004 on crapvn that i actually asked about lol

Jackup460, i think you're confusing the armrest for the headrest.VeryEvilCrownVic,pull the panel off the back of the seats. then take 2 long, thin flathead screwdrivers, and push them between the black locking clips in front and back of the headrest slide.It takes a little finegling, and patience, but the headrest will slide right up. to install, just push the headrest back in, and it will clip back in place. then just pop the back panel back on the seat. the back panel is held on by the same type of plastic push clips used on the door panels. I did this a few months ago, when my daughter pulled on the map pocket, and pulled the stitching out.While i had it apart, i pulled the headrest, to put the cover back together. I had to rehook the plastic clips on the underside, and the only way to do it was to pull the headrest. For those who have the map pocket hanging off the back of the seat, a hot glue gun works wonders!!!.Thankfully, my m-i-l is into arts, and crafts, so it was readily available. A hot glue gun is inexpensive, and really handy for making repairs on the interior. I would highly recommend keeping one in the toolbox.
      linky

hope this helps
      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Thats crazy... There is a special tool that slides down the back of the head rest post while the headrest is half way up. It slides between the headrest lock pin and a hole in the bottom of the headrest allowing the headrest to slide past the lock pin. You don't need the SPECIAL tool to accomplish this but it is out there. you can use a peace of sheet metal cut just smaller than the headrest post width and about 12 inches long, dosen't have to be exact. make sure you remove rough edges if any . then all you will have to do is slide it down the back of the headrest post about 6 inches then simply pull out the headrest.. It may take a couple of tries if you have never done it before...

Comment

:hacksaw:
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

:welder:
            2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Where can I get this tool, Chachi? I don't really wanna tear the seatback off if I don't have too.
              '95 Ford Bronco XL -

Comment

onlt 9.95 at http://www.atrim.com/ look under H for head rest tool. I have also used a slim jim in the past. It works the same

Comment

My dad asked if a slim jim would work, now we know. Thanks mang!
                  '95 Ford Bronco XL -

Comment

no prob.

Comment

Working...
                    X