• Show
Clear All

AOD Governor ID

found this on www.clickclick.com
    Attached Files
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

given an example of each, I wonder if it would be a simple matter of boring the weight on the low speed governor out to match the weight of the high speed governor if you wanted to change one to the other. If so, its a simple piece of lathe or mill work, depending on what piece of gear you've got handy.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah, I could measure the NOS piece I bought. and maybe measure the one in the hi-rev kit, just for giggle.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

might as well. Give us DIY'rs some stuff to screw up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

well, if the critical value is weight, that makes it somewhat easier. You could probably get that done with a drill, though you'd have to be very careful not to have it off center or go too far in. Careful setup on a drill press would probably get it done well enough.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Effectively turning a lopo governor into an HO governor. Yes?
            1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

that's the theory.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

yep, provided it is just a matter of less weight = higher RPM shift. When these were easily available, nobody would have bothered but this is what you get when things become obsolete.

Comment

With that theory, could you also create "custom" shift points by using weights other than the 3 standard ones?
                  1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

in theory you could tune it to your desired shift point by removing material until the shift point was achieved.

Comment

Up to a point. I expect there reaches some maximum amount of material you can remove and have it still hold it's shape. I suppose you could do a lead pour in there to drop the points back down if you go too far as well. Just would have to use the right flux so the lead will stick to the steel. I believe its acid flux to solder to steel.

Comment

true

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          Up to a point. I expect there reaches some maximum amount of material you can remove and have it still hold it's shape. I suppose you could do a lead pour in there to drop the points back down if you go too far as well. Just would have to use the right flux so the lead will stick to the steel. I believe its acid flux to solder to steel.
                          its a bit more complicated than that, since there is a spring involved too. you have to make sure the spring matches the counterweight, otherwise the spring will become too strong for the lighter weight and force it open too soon.

also removing the governor with the transmission in the car is not very easy. The drive shaft has be removed the crossmember has to be removed and the extension housing has to come off. sometimes the exhaust has be loosened as well, to have enough room to get the crossmember out of the way.

Comment

Working...
                          X