Stiff Turning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stiff Turning

So i replaced the steering shaft and it hasnt fixed the problem. Still stiff when turning and driving. Thoughts are the tie rod ends, ball joints, power steering pump, or gear box. Any thoughts?

On an '02 (which I got from your other thread before realizing it was in your username) with unknown mileage, I would be guessing Pitman arm, idler arm, and/or tie rod ends. I did all that stuff (and then some) on my 2000 Grand Marquis within the past several months, and all but the inner tie rod ends were either close to seized or on their way. I'm no expert, but I think if there was a problem with the pump or the box, the pump would be squealing and the box would either be leaking or exhibiting sloppiness rather than stiffness (unless there was a serious lube deficiency).

For a car that old, you might want to consider that it might also be time (or might be soon) for front and rear control arms, stabilizer bar bushings and links, and a Watts link. I did some posts about all the stuff I did, and some links are collected here:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ng-Feels-Loose
    It's a pain in the ass, but the upside is that you potentially double the typical lifespan of your car.
    Last edited by IPreferDIY; 08-26-2014, 12:04 AM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

135k on it.

Comment

AFAIK, the standard for longevity for the various joints and bushings seems to be about 100,000 miles, so your mileage supports my guess.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Is it a notchy/catching sort of stiff, or steady overly high effort through the whole range of motion?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

catching. happens all over the turning radius not just 1 spot. certain spots are easy others are hard.

Comment

Slipping belt/tensioner taking out power steering?

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I'd also check out the bearings in the steering column.

-ryan s.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Belt is new.

Comment

Working...
                  X