Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 PI 23,000 miles for sale. how much to offer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 PI 23,000 miles for sale. how much to offer?

Hi,
    There is a 2001 Police Interceptor for sale in my area. It is a Federal Agency owned car with 23,000 miles showing. It is very clean. No lights, no bars, no cage.
    The owner is asking $8500.00 OBO. What do you think I should offer? I have a 91 Box I don't want to get rid of. I like the 5.0 engine.
    Wife may make me get rid of the Box. I figure the PI with 23,000 non abused miles should have 4-5 years of trouble free driving. What do you think the PI is worth? Another big plus is no shipping involved.

Thank you,
    Mike
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Do a Kelly Blue Book search with the zip code of the area it is being sold. Be certain to search with all the options, mileage, etc...to get an idea. Not sure where you are located but $8.5K, off the top of my head, sounds like a lot of money!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

+1. Also check listings in your area for comparables. Something that you could use to bring the price down would be the presence of an all-plastic intake manifold with the dreaded plastic coolant crossover. That would have to be changed eventually if it has one.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I'd wait for a later year, the 03+ ones are the ones worth spending a penny on. They got suspension and performance ups. Especially it being a police car, I'd buy the newest you can. Especially for 8k you could get a beautiful interceptor. Hell I got my 06 for 900$ with 140k and 12k idle hours. It needed paint when I bought it. Now it needs more, but it's a mechanically sound car.

Oh and since all the departments are getting rid of them now, they're everywhere. Don't fear 60k + miles. They go for-ever-rr

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
        The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
        It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

FYI, I bought my southern 03 Town Car with 98k on it for 7200.
          Just throwing that out there.
          You may want to negotiate lower.

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkydogfilms View Post
            Hi,
            There is a 2001 Police Interceptor for sale in my area. It is a Federal Agency owned car with 23,000 miles showing. It is very clean. No lights, no bars, no cage.
            The owner is asking $8500.00 OBO. What do you think I should offer? I have a 91 Box I don't want to get rid of. I like the 5.0 engine.
            Wife may make me get rid of the Box. I figure the PI with 23,000 non abused miles should have 4-5 years of trouble free driving. What do you think the PI is worth? Another big plus is no shipping involved.

Thank you,
            Mike
            $8,500 for a 13 year old p71? Holy shit. I don't care how clean it is you could get a marauder for that price.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
              $8,500 for a 13 year old p71? Holy shit. I don't care how clean it is you could get a marauder for that price.
              That's true......

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

The miles are what makes it tempting. It would probably not hurt to negotiate hard.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

A Federal agency car with low miles is a good find. Generally not driven hard. Agree that it is high priced. Check NADA as well as KBB for value. I think the seller is trying to double what he bought it for. You could go to a GSA auction (where this car more than likely came from) and get a better price for something just as nice.

Comment

I haven't bought a car in awhile, but here's some general used merchandise negotiating tips that might be useful.

One trick I learned from the "Pawn Stars" TV show (but have seen used elsewhere and have used myself) is that the first person to name a price loses, though this might not necessarily work with a professional seller. The original asking price wouldn't necessarily count in this case, though if you determine it is unrealistically high, it might be an indication that you don't want to spend too much time on this one. Of course, everything depends on context, but the idea is that if you've determined that $7,000 would actually be a fair price and the seller reveals that he (or she) is "really" interested in $8,000, you say you were thinking more like $6,000 and eventually split the difference.

Since you will have already determined a fair price ahead of time, you should conduct yourself in a way that indicates to the seller that you've done your homework. For example, if the car has the original plastic coolant crossover, you should ask if the seller knows about this problem. Mentioning the class action that was settled many years ago might get you bonus points. After this preliminary "feeling out", you can get the seller to start things off by saying something like "What are you really hoping to get for it?". Sometimes they'll drop right into your range.

One trick I learned to keep pushy salespeople at bay is to say something like "I'm not comfortable with that" or "That doesn't feel right to me". Their response will give you a sense of how willing they are to accommodate you. If a seller is insistent on a price that can't be justified, it makes it that much easier to walk away.

One of my cardinal rules is be willing to pay what something is worth. Look for really good deals by all means (sometimes sellers just don't know what they have), but if you're dealing with a seller who knows what's fair, you should be fair too.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                      One of my cardinal rules is be willing to pay what something is worth. Look for really good deals by all means (sometimes sellers just don't know what they have), but if you're dealing with a seller who knows what's fair, you should be fair too.
                      ^^^THIS^^^

Also, I have found the best position to be in when looking for a car is when you don't NEED a vehicle. Be comfortable walking away. If a seller is unreasonable to deal with or is unrealistic, I say "good luck with the sale" and move on without regrets.
                      Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                      Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                      Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                      Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Working...
                      X