Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of tires are you using on your car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of tires are you using on your car?

I played with a white 5.0L Mustang GT this morning while driving to work. I was minding my own business when this GT put his nose up my ass in traffic. I sped up, he sped up. I jumped into another lane and he followed. It's about 26-degrees out at 5:30am on a dark saturday morning so there weren't too many cars or people on the street. We caught the next light and when it turned green, we both hit it. We both spun, but I recovered first and put a car on him before he finally hooked up and pulled away. My car is basically factory stock with 3.08 gears, but I spin the right rear when I floor it. Maybe it's the cheap ass winter tires on the car. What kind of tires are you running? Do you have similar traction issues? A limited slip would probably solve the problem.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
    5.4L swap coming soon.

on my 97 with 235/60 16 Kumhos 3.27 with a trac lok i can spin them if i dump it real high.

In the 895 with 6+year old 215-70 15 no name tires and 3.55s with a trak loc, i can boil them with about 1/4 throttle. But i just ordered some 325/50 15 BFG drag radials so i should be able to dead hook now
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Fronts are stock size (215/70-15) Kelly Explorers, with about 5000 miles on them now - dead grip on the road, they just don't care if it's dry or wet or snowy Rears are again stock sized Firestone 680s, about 3-4 years old and with cracks already - now those scare me, on dry pavement they're good (hard to make a burnout with), but do they slide when they see some water - I did a burnout once at my university, speedo read 65mph while I was moving at only about 5mph, and they only caught up cause I backed off the accelerator... I just ordered a pair of Firestone Firehawk 500s to replace them, sized at 255/60-15, hopefully next week they'll be on the car.

Comment

245/60/R15 Yokohama Avid S/T on all 4. I have a Detroit TrueTrac, and I still spin both of them from a start. But I also have a 3.55 rear. But my spin is very short. With both wheels spinning you actually accelerate a good amount. Peg legs can go for a long time because of the speed at wich that one wheel is spining. For example: if the car is stationary and the speedo reads 40mph, then the one spinning wheel is rotating at 80mph.

Comment

Uhm, sorry for the stupid question, but what's a "peg leg"? My burnouts ALWAYS start with both wheels, and they keep spinning both wheels if the road is whet, on dry they will eventually turn into a one-wheel burnout but I haven't yet found a pattern as to which wheel will revv up.

Comment

peg-leg = open rear end = no trac-lok

Comment

i'm running firestone affinity lh30's in 225/60hr/16.............i have absolutely no traction problems......they even hook right up at the track with my 221 rwhp
              scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I have liberator a/t's on the back now. 235/75-15. Will smoke the shit out of the right one. I have 225/75-15 goodyear clubs on the front and love em.
                1989 Grand Marquis LS
                flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Yokohamas. They grip well, just they aren't hold up too well due to a combination of horrible alignment and bad luck. I don't exactly fault the tires. Probably I'll end up getting Yokies in 16" when I put new rubber on the car. I've been doing some price/performance/etc comparing on Tirerack between those and a set of Khumos seem to be the best durability and traction ratings in the price range.

Sort of on-topic. Anyone use Khumo tires? Good/bad/indifferent opinions?
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                    Yokohamas. They grip well, just they aren't hold up too well due to a combination of horrible alignment and bad luck. I don't exactly fault the tires. Probably I'll end up getting Yokies in 16" when I put new rubber on the car. I've been doing some price/performance/etc comparing on Tirerack between those and a set of Khumos seem to be the best durability and traction ratings in the price range.

Sort of on-topic. Anyone use Khumo tires? Good/bad/indifferent opinions?
                    Im using the KH11 HP4's on my 97, they are great in traction dry in the wet i can spin them rather easy, but braking is fine. even turning hard and fast the tires are solid, the car feels like it is at its limit before the tires. these are 235/60R16's running around 40PSI.

Comment

Dean Alpha IV 235/75/15's on the front
                      Signet 235/75/15's on the rear, all are all weathers.

The spare is a Firestone 215/70/15 :drug:
                      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Yokohama AVID S/T's, same as blaze and GMGT. I really like mine, I also like the way the look mounted with the blackwall showing. As for handling and ride I think they are exceptional. I haven't really pushed them yet to know for sure tho.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                        My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

I have pushed my Avid S/Ts, and I'm very impressed. For a tire so cheap you would never know it. And along with the great performance, is something you would never expect with it, it rides surprisingly smooth.

Comment

Too bad no one lives close to me and could let me "borrow" their rear tires for a road test. It's almost Thanksgiving, the weather is getting colder and the pavement is getting colder. Goodyear Eagle Drag slicks would probably have a hard time hooking on a 26-degree morning without a burnout. I know I surprised that 5.0L Mustang when I shot forward. He had the last laugh when he hooked up and shot forward. I can't wait until it's Spring. I'd like to run MT drag radials at the rear on my GM. It would be sweet if I put them on a light weight wheel with a stock hub cap screwed on. :evil:

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                            Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                            5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Im about to get some kumho exsta stx tires for my lx sport wheels when i get money. Ill let yall know on em.
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS
                              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Working...
                              X