Blacking out the rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blacking out the rear

Well, I'm thinking of blacking out the rear of my car, both the tail lights and the reflective strip between them. I know there is some sticky film that wil work for the tail lights, but I'm worried about the reflective panel - if I cover it with the film, will it still reflect the light in red as it is now? Will it reflect something at all? Also how legal is all that stuff, I've seen many cars done like that, but that doesn't guarantee me that I won't get in trouble with the cops... Any info/ideas please?

Generaly it is illegal. Blacking out a reflector will cause a significant degridation in the brightness, as the light has to travel through the tint twice (once in and once out).

Comment

Okay, then it's a no go - too bad, it would have looked good.

Comment

They make a tint spray called 'nightshades' - perhaps a thin coat of this wont block too much light but still darken them up a bit???
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Pete, I was actually thinking of blacking all the lights on my car I already have pretty dark red tail lights, so I don't think the "Nightshades" will make any difference there - can it be used on headlights though?

Comment

Tinting headlights redices nighttime visibilty badly. I've driven stuff with those crappy plastic tinted headlight covers and you have to drive with the high beams on just to see where you are going. In other words: teh suck.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

if you go onto www.jcwhitney.com, you can buy headlights that are black, but when turned on, they are clear as a bell!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Gadget, I've never driven a vehicle with the blackouts up front, but I was still scpetical about them. Just had to ask.

Marquisman, I searched for the headlighst you speak of in that site, but couldn't find anything - do you have a link for a set that will work on a CV/GM/TC box?

Comment

I have Niteshades on my tails. Never had any harrassment. You can smoke them no problem. It is the total blackout that is bad. I think I put 3 coats of niteshades on it and then like 6 coats of clear. They are perfect and they are noticable but still legal.
                  2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

well, acording to my JCwhitney catalogue, they are phillips color clear headlights and they are $19.99 each. the site aint working on my comp for some reason, so ill see later if i can get a link.

Comment

I wouldn't blacken the lenses of the headlights unless you have a HID conversin up you sleeve Tails are ok as long as it's not like 5% uber dark

2005 Legacy GT *13.5 @ 96MPH*
                      2003 Mercury Marauder *Totaled*

Comment

rear reflectors

I am thinking about painting my rear reflectors black also.
                        I purchased a used one on Ebay to practice on.
                        I have noticed that the PI Crown Vics, Crown Vics, Taxi cabs, Maruauders all have black reflector strips. So what would be the harm to blacken one on a Mercury Grand Marquis. if i was to get pulled over for that, hope it would be a PI and ask them to look at theirs and hope it is black also.
                        Thoughts?
                        Len B
                        lsb532004@sbcglobal.net
                        2004 BLACK Grand Marquis
                        ALL BLACK -no chrome-balck front
                        Legal 3 window tint-K & N filter-PI Zip tube
                        Front & rear Merc God Head Badge mod wind & Rain -window reflectors
                        Goodyear Triple Tred tires

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman
                          if you go onto www.jcwhitney.com, you can buy headlights that are black, but when turned on, they are clear as a bell!
                          THANK YOU I COULD NOT FIND THEM AND I WANTED THEM SOOO BADLY TOO!!! Ok im on the site but I cant find the damned things
                          Last edited by interceptor1985; 11-25-2006, 06:49 PM.
                          YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by capridrifter
                            THANK YOU I COULD NOT FIND THEM AND I WANTED THEM SOOO BADLY TOO!!! Ok im on the site but I cant find the damned things
                            I couldn't find them either, back when I posted the thread. May have been in a paper catalog, dunno.

Comment

well, there yo go, get the damn paper book, lol, its in there!

Comment

Working...
                              X