Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner addressing issues

2003 Grand Marquis LS

Had the climate issue so I replaced the o-rings with some bought on Amazon...works great!

Fan speed acting up, changed the blower resistor thinggie, now works great! (btw what a pain...)

Have a slight whine when driving hwy speed, might be coming from the rear end. I'm thinking I'll start with a good service with some syn lube. Should I go thicker or thinner for better results?

Adjustable pedals don't work, anyone get this fixed?

Getting ready for the winter with some oil based undercoating, thanks to recommendations here.

Future mods: window tint, replace factory speakers (recommendations welcome-I plan on keeping the stock head unit), dual exhaust-I have dual cats running into a single muffler, so I plan on running dual cat-back (recommendations welcome here as well-want some good V8 rumble with gas mileage improvement).

Also thinking about Mach 1 spoiler and body color rear trunk fascia as well as some different wheels/tires combo (maybe GT500s?), and let's not forget the floor mats...

Finally, I have the overhead console, which worked fine until today. Now it's not coming on. What could it be?

Thanks everyone. This forum is great! Just by doing the o-rings and blower resistor myself I saved a ton on the purchase (PO thought it had electrical issues). Total cost so far: 45 dollars....lol
    Last edited by mflueras; 09-27-2014, 09:00 PM.

With respect to your blower motor, you might want to consider doing a bit of preventative maintenance by cleaning the contacts that the brushes ride on. My motor acted like it was dead last winter, and I presumed it was the controller (yup, big PITA), but it was apparently a matter of the contacts on the motor being so blackened that they were preventing current flow. I cleaned the contacts with WD-40 and haven't had any problems since.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Thanks. I'll do that in the morning. I read somewhere that a bad blower motor (or a poor connection) can take out a blower resistor. At least everything is working good....

Comment

2003 and early 2004 panther chassis are notorious for eating rear axles and bearings, pull both axles and inspect for wear. my 2003 town car had a slight roar at hwy speed.
        Attached Files
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

as far as the adjustable pedals is concerned, there is a nylon gear that makes the pedals go back and forth, typically these nylon gears break/strip and the adjustment stops working.

there is a guy on Mercury Marauder.net that makes replacement gears

here is a write up how to change the gears... it's pretty labor intensive. http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=82699

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

My car was manufactured in April of 03. From my reading I thought only earlier models were affected by "soft axles" but now I'm worried. I do not have a roar like others have said when describing axle shafts/bearings wearing. I have what can be described as a high pitched whine that changes frequency and volume with application of throttle making me think of differential bearings. Noise goes away when coasting, slight application of throttle brings back the whine.

I have tried to get on marauder but can't seem to be able to get registered so I can't see the post regarding the adjustable pedal gear repair. I'd like to get my pedals to work right so I can get them to go back in. Right now they are adjusted all the way out which basically jams my knees in the dash.

Anyways, so far I like the car quite a bit. Rides great, a lot more precise handling than earlier models I've driven probably due to the rack and pinion and it handles the road like champ. I'll be slowly modifying it for both looks and better fuel mileage.

Comment

my town car was built 05/2003... build date don't mean Shyte. pull the diff cover and inspect both axles and both bearings.

what email are you using to register on MM.net? some emails (like hotmail) are blocked. Send me your email address and I will send the admin a message.

Comment

I'm using mflueras@gmail.com to register. Thanks for your help.

I plan on servicing the rear differential this upcoming week. What should I be looking for?

Comment

If you want a brass gear instead of plastic for the adjustable pedals... contact Curless over on www.upoa.us as he has a stash of them.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My pedals are shot on my 04. They too were all the way up. If you crawl under the dash and disconnect the cable that goes from the motor to the brake pedal you can make the gas pedal move down. I was able to get the brake pedal down too by doing it one revolution at a time and using a small screwdriver to get past the broken part of the gear. Hard to explain but it can be done.
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                      If you want a brass gear instead of plastic for the adjustable pedals... contact Curless over on www.upoa.us as he has a stash of them.
                      Yeah, curless is the same guy on MM.net. He made the post how to remove old gears and install new ones, he also has brass gears.

Comment

Originally posted by mflueras View Post

I plan on servicing the rear differential this upcoming week. What should I be looking for?
                        you will need to remove the diff cover, remove the spider gear center pin, remove the axle C-clips and slide both axles out. that is the only way to check for damage to axles and bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                          Yeah, curless is the same guy on MM.net. He made the post how to remove old gears and install new ones, he also has brass gears.
                          Ah. Very good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by mflueras View Post
                            I'm using mflueras@gmail.com to register. Thanks for your help.
                            I am told your account on MM.net is approved and should be working.

Comment

Found Mobilube HD Plus 80W-90 at the local Autozone. Is this a good lube to use for my car? It is conventional lube not syn.

Since I have slight rear end noise which I believe is coming from the rear end gears should I instead go for Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-140?

The other I've looked at and I'm considering is Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-90 but I don't have limited slip; it is however fully synthetic.

I am partial to Mobile lubricants but I'd entertain other fluids used by members. I'm looking for good protection and better mpgs. I also want to reduce the rear end noise if possible given that the gears are not damaged where they have to be replaced (the noise is so slight my better half cannot hear it but alas, I can)

Comment

Working...
                              X