Should i buy??? To good to be true, probably

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should i buy??? To good to be true, probably

There's a guy selling (his friends) 1997 town car.

Older gentlemen lives in nursing home now, doesn't drive

it has 57k on the clock, 1 owner, LOOKS BEAUTIFUL

I have read here about the issues they have with the plastic intake and oil consumption issues

He is asking for 3k (assuming OBO)

Even with the plastic intake (which is what he thinks is in the car), is it worth getting? Any pointers to look out fo rin this car?
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Aeros are dirt cheap all the time, do some research on em. The airbags tend to go too, since those cars are getting old and they're wearing out. If it has coils then you're in the clear, the intake isn't such a big deal; just need a replacement or a JY one.

I love Aero Towncars..

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Didn't know about the airbags!

Im not sure, ill check for coils.

How much of a PITA is it to do the intakes? How about the cost.

Just trying to quantitize costs to use for leverage on getting a better price
      Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
      Aeros are dirt cheap all the time, do some research on em. The airbags tend to go too, since those cars are getting old and they're wearing out. If it has coils then you're in the clear, the intake isn't such a big deal; just need a replacement or a JY one.

I love Aero Towncars..

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Poss valve seals need replacement, and that horrid plastic intake.....ick
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

How do you inspect to see if it does need valve seals replacements?

How about the plastic intake? Any pics of what to look for?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

cold start will puff blue smoke out the tail pipes if the valve seals are shot. but they fixed that problem in 96 supposedly. The plastic intake, if it's been replaced, will have metal under the thermostat housing. If it's plastic under the thermostat housing, it'll need to be replaced.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

How much would it cost to get that done (the intake) Estimates I have seen are 600-700 dollars

Hypothetically if it's not fixed by 96, how much would it cost to get the valve seals fixed?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

iirc valve seal issues got corrected in 96.

the intake change isnt horrible, just time consuming, i suppose one could knock them out fast after replacing a few.

3000 is a good deal if the car isnt a pos.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'll look at it today or tomorrow. From the looks of it, it looks like the older gentleman parked it in his bedroom

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

air springs are also not a big deal. A pair should run you about 250 and its not really any harder to install than coil springs in the back. Much ado about nothing when it comes to air suspension repairs.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok coo, thanks.

So, apparantly, thsi si only an executive series with leather interior, keyless entry, no cd player...hmmm what else, the car is beautiful (seats are immaculate) but noticed some minor dents in the passenger fender (accident/fender bender??)

I will consult kbb/edmunds/nada/carguru for a more realistic price

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Please excuse me while I thread highjack for just a second. The aero towncars have air bag issues?

Granted you are protected in probably one of the most sturdy cars on the road....sooooo

Check and make sure maintenance stuff has been taken care of. I know there wouldn't be a huge paper trail because a lot of older people like to it on their own, but do a quick inspection and make sure you aren't buying a 4.6 filled with sludge.

Comment

Originally posted by killgore View Post
                          Please excuse me while I thread highjack for just a second. The aero towncars have air bag issues?

Granted you are protected in probably one of the most sturdy cars on the road....sooooo ...
                          I looks like they were talking about the air suspension air bags, which wear out eventually (and apparently more so in hot and dry climates):

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                          ... The airbags tend to go too, since those cars are getting old and they're wearing out. If it has coils then you're in the clear, ...
                          Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          air springs are also not a big deal. A pair should run you about 250 and its not really any harder to install than coil springs in the back. Much ado about nothing when it comes to air suspension repairs.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I would say 2500 tops, without photos. Being senior owned, the dents are probably from parking. The air bags are really easy to replace if they are bad. Intake isnt too bad an issue, but just takes a little $ and time. The valve seals were fixed in 95-96 depending on when the car was made.

Or to avoid all the intake/valve seal issues, just find a 90 townie.

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
                            1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
                            88 CVLX
                            01 Marquis

Comment

Yeah I meant air bags as in the air springs,

i will call ford with the vin to get history on the car

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X