Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Premium FUEL for a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premium FUEL for a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis ??

I have ALWAYS run premium fuel for ALL my cars. Most of the cars I owned were big engines, rear wheel drive.

My 1991 Tbird is a six cylinder and it loves the premium fuel.

Now since I bought the 2003 Grand Marquis I thought I would run premium fuel as well.

I just purchased and received the owners manual for the 2003 Grand Marquis. In the owners manual it stated that it can be harmful to run premium fuel in this car !!!

Is that true running 93 octane can be bad for the car ? What about middle grade of 89 octane ?

Thanks

Not sure if it can be harmful but if the manual doesn't call for it - it would be a waste of money.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

run it on 87, it was designed for it! No need to run premium.
      i get 26 mpg highway with my 06 towny on regular unleaded.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
        run it on 87, it was designed for it! No need to run premium. ...
        +1. My 2000 MGM does just fine with 87. With the price of gas what it is, I can't imagine spending more on something you don't really need.

Incidentally, here's what the PDF version of my manual says:

"Octane recommendations

Your vehicle is designed to use “Regular” unleaded gasoline with an (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. We do not recommend the use of gasolines labeled as “Regular” that are sold with octane ratings of 86 or lower in high altitude areas. Do not be concerned if your engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if it knocks heavily under most driving conditions while you are using fuel with the recommended octane rating, see your dealer or a qualified service technician to prevent any engine damage.

Fuel quality

If you are experiencing starting, rough idle or hesitation driveability problems during a cold start, try a different brand of “Regular” unleaded gasoline. “Premium” unleaded gasoline is not recommended (particularly in the United States) because it may cause these problems to become more pronounced. If the problems persist, see your dealer or a qualified service technician.

It should not be necessary to add any aftermarket products to your fuel tank if you continue to use high quality fuel of the recommended octane rating. Aftermarket products could cause damage to the fuel system. Repairs to correct the effects of using an aftermarket product in your fuel may not be covered by your warranty. ..."

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Neither of your other cars need it either. Neither are high compression enough to warrant high octane fuel.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks guys, 87 is what I will use.

Comment

Working...
            X