Other transmissions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other transmissions?

so im getting fed up with the AOD in my car, not shifting past second, and am wondering if a C6 or an fmx can be bolted up to the motor? will it work in my 87 tudor?

technically yes, but...
    the C6 may be too fat to fit the trans tunnel and you will need a different drive shaft and yoke for either. Better to swap in a good AOD or get yours rebuilt. If you rebuild, get the A servo and 2" OD band as that will greatly increase the reliability of OD over the long haul.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

my plan was to go for a c6 or a c4 and buy a gear vendors overdrive thing for it

Comment

Would probably be less expensive to get yous rebuilt than the gear vendors od unit and c4 unless the price has come down a LOT.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Just woundering if you drive wiith it in OD all the time?
          Probably cheeper just getting a high performance AOD built by Lentech
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by 87merc View Post
            my plan was to go for a c6 or a c4 and buy a gear vendors overdrive thing for it
            The gear vendors alone will cost more than a decent AOD.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

The c-6 will fit. Looking back I should have done an E4OD with stand alone controller instead of the C-6. A good AOD will work fine if not putting out 500'# of torque.
              sigpic
              89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
              13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
              "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

C4 will drop right into place of an AOD. C6 you'll also need to shorten the driveshaft.

Alex.

Comment

C4 fits, but its a crap transmission. They blow up too, and they shift like a bag of mush. The C6 is a huge power whore. Get an AOD that works. It fits and doesn't eat as much power as either of the old ones. If you're into heavy power mongers, try an FMX. They're tough and made of cast iron in the early days.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Go balls out, cast iron powerglide.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

But Op wants more than 2 gears. lol

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

FMX is an iron 3 speed. Can't push-start that though. The PowerGlide, at least early ones, had a rear pump that would let you push start the car but you had to get it moving like 20 mph for it to kick in.

The AOD is actually based on the FMX design. The first 3 gears of an AOD are the same ratios as an FMX.
                        Last edited by gadget73; 11-25-2014, 06:29 PM.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

pantera 77 thats what im trying to get away from. im spinning 3500 rpm at 55 on 14s. was thinking an fmx, im 17 and poor, and im a half decent fabricator, would the fmx bolt in fairly easy?

Comment

If you can find one, probably. Its the ancestor of the AOD, but I don't think they have made one since '78 or '79. Its probably about the same to swap in a C4. Half the stuff fits, and the stuff that doesn't you'll have to figure out. Honestly, for the cost of finding the wrong transmission and making it fit you can get the right one that works. A good used AOD is an option. They do exist.

for what it's worth, the gearing in a 2 speed transmission is not the same as the 1 and 2 gearing of a 4 speed. 1st gear is somewhere between the current 1 and 2, and 2 is the same as 3.

Comment

What gears do you have in the rear end? 3500rpm@55mph is a really, really low gear if you're in OD with an AOD.

And without a rear gear swap, no transmission that'll bolt up will lower that RPM. The AOD already has a seriously overdriven 4th gear.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                              X