Transmission shudder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission shudder

on a car that has 58k miles, I feel I shudder that gets more prominent as it get warmer (eng temp) at 32-33, 38-39, 42-44 mph.

I have come across mention of these threads, but I am kind of worried. The tranny oil, does have a pinkish color to it, and doesn't smell burnt
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

if it's an AOD, it's an ignition problem most likely. If it's an AODE/4R7xW, it'll probably be the torque converter clutches giving out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sorry, forgot to mention. It's a 97, so im guessing 4R7xW??

Anything I can do short of rebuilding the tranny?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

there's a bandaid that can help stretch it out if that is the problem and not an ignition issue... Dr. Tranny's Instant Shudder Fixx by Lubegard (yes, 2 X's).

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lb...L--hoCrJHw_wcB

It's sold at some local parts stores too for about $10. Pour that in the trans dipstick tube and it should help unless the clutches are already wasted (or it's an ignition problem - plugs, wires).

Again, this is only a bandaid and you should be prepared to drive it until it dies and save up for a rebuild. Though with only 58K, I would think the bandaid would last for some time, though due to age, I would be suspecting plug wires as a possibility. You can test this at night with the hood light off by misting some water on the wires. With the car running, if the wires are giving you a light show (little sparks everywhere) then change them. If it's coil on plug, don't do that. If it's is coil on plug (don't remember what year they switch to that), with the car running, feel each coil pack for a tapping sensation. They should only be vibrating with the rest of the engine stuff and not have a tapping sensation. If any does, that's a bad plug allowing some blow-by. Replace the plug and inspect the boot for damage. If it's not coil on plug and does have wires, make sure they're all pushed down all the way and properly engaged to the plugs. I used to have a problem with my 93 and it's original engine where the wires would slide up ever so slightly and disengage from the plug. This would happen if I didn't get them completely in place the first time. I've also seen this issue on used cars that have had several people test drive them as they would go off, pull a plug or two to make it run rough, come back and try to get the dealer to drop the price.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

porschpow, your other threads indicated AOD and a fluid leak issue. Was it really an AOD? Did you decide to drain the torque converter after all? If it was not AOD, did you use Mercon V? And have you been keeping an eye on the fluid level?

sly, if it's a non-AOD and it's a torque converter clutch problem, wouldn't replacing just the torque converter be an option? I imagine it would probably be almost as much a pain in the ass as removing the tranny entirely (assuming it doesn't actually require this), but at least you wouldn't have to bother with the guts of the tranny.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Oh no this is a 1997 Lincoln Town Car

I have an 89 Lincoln town car, that I know has AOD, not familiar with the aeros

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

On a 4r70w, 90% of the time the shudder can be eliminated by completely draining the transmission and using genuine Mercon V fluid, not the universal dexron/Mercon bullshit. Make sure to specify the torque converter gets drained. Plug wires can also make symptoms appear to be transmission related when they are not. The 4.6s like to chew up wires so make sure you have a newer quality set installed.
              Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
              Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
              Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
              Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

I have to change out the manifold anyway, so I was going to clean the injectors, spark plugs, wires, coolant flush and hopefully change the tranny fluid (with Mercon V)

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

forgot to mention that this happens under moderate throttle, when I tromp on it, the shudder goes away. I don't know if that has any value to it

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

It's probably just old fluid. People tend to forget there are other fluids in cars than just engine oil, that is, until there's a problem, but even then, it's probably mistakenly not attributed to old shitty fluid. Why one would change the engine oil every 3-5k but expect all the other fluids to last indefinitely is beyond me. At least that's how it's been on about 95% of the cars I've purchased used. Not surprised when I get one with rusty coolant and/or black transmission and power steering fluid.
                    Last edited by LithiumCobalt; 11-24-2014, 07:18 PM.
                    Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                    Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                    Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                    Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

yeah that sounds like the torque converter thing. Also, bad spark plugs in a 4.6 can seem like transmission problems. A misfire and a torque converter shudder are real similar in feel. Try lightly touching the brake pedal when it does this. If it immediately stops shaking, its torque converter. If it does not, its more likely spark plugs. Don't remember if a 97 has wires or not, but those also go bad.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
                        Oh no this is a 1997 Lincoln Town Car

I have an 89 Lincoln town car, that I know has AOD, not familiar with the aeros
                        Time to update your signature?

I have to change out the manifold anyway, so I was going to clean the injectors, spark plugs, wires, coolant flush and hopefully change the tranny fluid (with Mercon V)
                        Maybe a J-MOD while you're at it?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

What's a J-mod?

I was going to use the 97 as a winter beater/daily driver and put my 89 Signature series in storage.

I pray it's nothing to do with the converter. I will change the intake, clean the injectors with 2+2, change with motorcraft plugs and wires, change tranny fluid (add that lubeguard people talk about), flush coolant, cross my fingers for the shudder to go away!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

What's a J-mod? ...
                            If you've ever heard of a shift kit, it's the same idea, but you basically drill holes yourself. Here's a simple explanation:
                            http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...hat-j-mod.html

And here's an "official" how-to video:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbIAKfhrdV0

In your case, one approach would be to suck the fluid out of the pan to see what kind of shape it's in. If nothing indicates an urgency to pull the pan, then just drain the torque converter and put fresh fluid in. If that solves the problem, then you can plan on pulling the pan and changing the filter later. That would be the ideal time for a J-MOD. You waste ~$60 of fluid that way, but if the first fluid change solves the problem, you would have even fresher fluid in a better tranny in the end.

Comment

if you change the fluid, you don't need the lubegard stuff... it's the friction modifier that's already in MercV. The modifier gets depleted when the service intervals aren't followed.

Comment

Working...
                              X