Ugh! Damn it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh! Damn it.

So, I know my car burns oil. It's got 176k miles, for cryin' out loud! Unfortunately, it seems the only time I think to check it is when I'm rolling down the highway. So the other day, I'm on my way to work, thinking about the fact that I haven't checked the oil in a while, when I started to hear a light ticking sound from the engine bay. I thought it was the old VW I was passing, but once the VW was gone, the noise persisted. Got to work and ended up putting a couple of quarts of oil in the car. The noise went away, and everything was sounding pretty good until a couple of days later, when the noise came back with a vengeance. Dropped the car off at a local garage, and got a call this morning from the mechanic telling me the car needs an engine. Now... I know it was my own neglect that put me in this situation, and I'm prepared to deal with that. Thing is, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I could tell him to go ahead with the cam chains and tensioners and hope he's wrong about noise in the back and top of the engine, spending about $1300 to do the job, or I can buy a used engine that I found about an hour away with 41k miles and spend about $2000. Or, I can cut my losses, and sell the car with a running, but noisy engine for whatever I can get out of it. I've owned the car for 3 years next week, and I like it well enough, but with the miles, It's worth MAYBE $2500 with a good running, quiet engine. I don't want to scrap it, it's just recently started to develop rust bubbles over the front wheel arches, the car's too good for that. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to do the cam chain tensioners myself, or I'd consider it. Just too much going on to let the car suck up that much of my life. Anyone in/near Cincinnati want a good deal on a whale?

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
    Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

This will not help you in your current situation, but might for the future. I started this with my first beater and continue today, even with my new car. I check the oil every time I get gas. You’ll see what the level is and after a few times see how fast the oil is going down. Good luck!

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
    George Burns

Comment

Not sure the exact condition of your engine but could you do a complete oil change/filter with a GOOD quality HEAVIER oil just to see if you can "get through" to save money? Not sure, in this case, if repair engine replacement is worth it.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I don't think the 4.6 likes thick oil. I'd just keep driving it and turn up the radio. When it blows up, then decide.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

the 4.6 NPI will do 10w30, but that's about it, maybe 10w40. If it's just a tick or a tap, just run step thicker oil than you do now. If it's a low thump/knock... you might be better off selling it and getting another one if you don't just replace the engine. A new to you car will cost about the same as the engine swap (if you get that good a deal on an engine swap and engine... that's pretty good) and the new to you car will come with a list of unknown issues as well. so it's a gamble either way. If it were me, I'd swap in a PI long block (intake and all), and use your current fuel rails, coils, plugs, injectors, sensors (if the connectors are different), and just run with it. That may need tune though, so you might just swap in a 97-2000 long block and be done with it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Pretty well resigned to selling it as is. It still runs and drives, and is actually pretty quiet until it gets up to operating temp. Funny thing is, except for the noise, it drives just like normal. So for now, I'll drive it while I try to get it sold, and hopefully sell it as a running, driving car with a noisy engine that needs replaced. Worst case, it weighs 3900 lbs, so it should be worth about $500 in scrap. I hate to do that though. :*(

Comment

If you really like what you have, put the 41k used motor in it. How is the transmission ? I have always regretted getting rid of something I really liked. Especially when they go to the junkyard.

Comment

Even brand new cars use oil always check it every so many miles.

In Wi you'd get like 190 bucks for it at the scrap yard right now. 5 cents a pound last time i checked
                Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

I'm told they're paying about $240/ton down here in SW Ohio. I've considered putting the junkyard motor in it, but as much as I like the car, I was about ready to sell it on anyway. The deterioration snowball has begun in earnest, and when I stepped back to look at it objectively, it became more difficult to justify spending the money. Specifically, I look at the fact that I've been getting 17 mpg for the last 3 years, and when I think about all the money I've spent at the gas station, it makes my head spin! I love my panther, but I've got a teenage son that is going to be driving soon, and I need something a little better on gas. Targeting 25+ mpg for the replacement.

Comment

You'll be spending money either way. My vote is to swap in the junkyard engine.
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Drop in a 5.4L 2v.

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
                      1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

Sounds like he is leaning to saying, Bye - bye"....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I understand what you are saying about buying a car that gets better mileage. If it were me though I would put in the engine with 41 thousand miles. I would ONLY do that if everything else was in good shape.

I love the big cars and most that I have owned have been FORD variety. I did have a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible back in the eighties which I really liked.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Comment

I wish you were closer because man, I could hook you up.
                            My buddy owns a junkyard and I get good motors for around $250. Granted, there is a u-pull up here where all motors are a $100.
                            Anyways, I'd hate to see that car go to the yard. Plus we could have done the swap my garage.

Good luck.

-ryan s.
                            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                            Originally posted by pantera77
                            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Was driving the car on December 19, when all of a sudden, she started stalled sitting at a traffic light. Highly unusual, but it started back up, so I continued on, albeit on high alert. About a mile further down the road, she jumped time. I was able to nurse it back to the house, but nearly set it on fire in doing so. Sold it on to her new owner for $650. From what I understand, the guy that bought it used to do maintenance for a cab company, and has done many Panther car engine swaps. So, in the end, I was sad to see it go, but happy to know it'll be back on the road before too long. I've since bought a 2002 Explorer Sport 2wd 5spd to take up my daily driver duties. I've decided after less than a week of ownership though, that this'll be a clean and flip car. I don't much care for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X