Airbag light is on (not suspension)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbag light is on (not suspension)

I always had the airbag light go on in my car. I had to scanner hook up to it and it said something to the effect of an increase in the resistance of the sensor. (At sensor location number 1)

He said, it usually means that rust and corrosion got around the sensor and it usually just needs to get cleaned up and tightened again.

My question is where is the airbag sensor (#1)

BTW, this is a safety airbag sensor light, not the air spring suspension
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Which car are we talking about?

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
    Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

Sorry, this Is a 1997 Lincoln town car

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Post the actual code and we can take it from there. Sometimes the sensor needs to be cleaned or replaced and is located right near the radiator. Try to get a factory oem manual for more info - can usually score one on EBAY.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Lincoln...f5b8a4&vxp=mtr

Just an example as you may find one cheaper or get it on disc, at a lower price.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

That's what the guys said, I will get the code to you,

but where is this lead at exactly? under the rad?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I believe it located near the top of the rad mounting but someone with better info will need to chirp in. As I said, even to be a better informed consumer, I would get a manual. That, at least, will tell you were EVERYTHING is located!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Yup, That is something I will DEF do, not that Chilton or Haynes stuff

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
                Yup, That is something I will DEF do, not that Chilton or Haynes stuff
                Opinions way vary but I concur those other manuals are next to useless!!

Comment

Its somewhere up in the radiator support area I believe. Might be mounted just under that plastic apron around the hood latch area. Couldnt guess which is #1, so I'd probably go for pulling and cleaning any and all that you find up there. I think there are 2 or 3.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

do you have to disconnect the battery cable before doing this?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

YES and More yes. You want to disconnect the battery and wait a minute for everything to discharge completely in the system before you screw with it to keep from setting the bomb off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

After you disconnect the battery, hit the brake pedal. This will drain any remaining power in the system.

Comment

well, you don't have to, but you'll probably regret not doing it if something goes bad. For extra lolz, you can put someone in the front seat while you do this and see if it breaks their nose when the bomb explodes in their face.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well I spent a good hour trying to find this damn sensor to now avail. I did find a sensor that sat proud of the condenser/radiator (midway) but have no clue where this bloody ABS sensor is. There was nothing near the radiator mount upper of lower

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Crappy illustration, but should give you some guidance, and a place to look. BTW, Airbag sensor and ABS sensor are very different parts. ABS sensor, also called a wheel speed sensor is located at each of the wheels. Usually consists of a small sensor on the knuckle that reads a reluctor ring on the hub.

Also, before you mess with that sensor, disconnect the battery and WAIT! The airbag control module can retain enough juice to deploy the airbags for up to an hour after the battery is disconnected. Even disconnecting the battery and stepping on the brake may not dissipate all the juice in the system.
                              Last edited by Ziggy; 01-28-2015, 10:03 AM.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
                              Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

Working...
                              X