New (to me) Whale owner has a couple questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New (to me) Whale owner has a couple questions

Hey guys, i'm new to the site and to the whale owning community, just had a few quick questions.

2000 MGM PrecisionTrac LS.

#1: My car has an intermittent pull to the right, even after a fresh alignment. Sometimes its worse than others and sometimes it drives straight as an arrow. Sometimes (definitely not every time) when i have a heavier person in the passenger seat it seems to do better. The car has factory air ride but it all works as it should. Is there a load leveling sensor that could possibly need replaced or am i going the wrong direction entirely?

#2: Can anyone make or know where to buy Halo headlights for this car? I've scoured google and came up with nothing but build your own as an answer. lol

#3: Is there a way to turn off the Traction control other than jerking a fuse or some other involved method? (I.E. A button)

#4: This is the least of my concerns but annoying none the less. My car has the door keypad for unlocking doors/trunk. I was tinkering with it one evening right after i bought it (before i'd googled where to find the code) and tried several combinations to no avail. I know 100% that pressing the 0 key 5 times did not unlock the vehicle because i tried it. i found the correct code and used it to unlock the doors, and ever since then, pressing "0" 5 times unlocks it the same as entering the key....what the hell?

Welcome!

#1 - What steering/suspension work have you had done? And what was the alignment for? I saw from your other thread that you're well over 100,000 miles, which is about the starting point for the typical lifespan of the various joints and bushings. There's a height sensor for the ass end, but that only relates to up and down. I suppose in theory if one air spring is being inflated more than the other, then you might get a pull, but I doubt you would have such an issue.

#2 No idea. I don't get fancy with that stuff.

#3 There should be a button you can access by opening the glove box.

#4 The programming stuff is in the owner's manual. I don't know the details offhand, but here's a link to get a handy PDF version:

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...rand%20Marquis

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

For the projectors contact these fellas : http://kccperformance.com/index.php?...&path=17_62_64
      1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

I just bought the car. It has 115k on it. Not 100% if anything has been replaced but i gad all 4 wheels aligned and my tie rods and ball joints are good and i just put brand new tires on it.

Comment

Also. Today on my way to work when i applied the brakes i got a hard pull to the right. It only did it once and immediately straightened out and isnt pulling at all now. I guess its possible i have a caliper hanging up.

Comment

That would be my guess at this point. Something to consider is the road crown. If it pulls on the right side of the highway but not the left, the downslope to the left might be offsetting a tendency to pull to the right. If that's not a factor, then I'd guess the hard braking unstuck the caliper. Hopefully it's the latter.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

My brakes do that when they get wet or other crud on them. Takes a bit to clear the crap and then it grabs.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It was raining.but this was a fairly hard tug. I countersteered it and could feel the car trying to twist. I wasnt braking very hard either

Comment

Working...
                X