First Oil Change on 4.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Oil Change on 4.6

Im doig a first oil change on the 97 Townie, I noticed that the oil filter is not like the 5.0's. It's horizontally bolted to the block. What the frick?!?! Am I wrong? I mean that is the only filter I see. This is going to suck

Also, someone told me that these 4.6's need 6 quarts of oil, this true?

I was going to go with 5 W 20 with a car that has 60K on it for winter (Penzoil YB conventional for now) Might change to synthetic later
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

The filter is horizontal on driverside and I think its five quarts of oil. An on my 96 townie I only use synthetic oil . High mileage at that.

Comment

IIRC it should be 5 qts. and probably a FL-820S (Motorcraft). If it sits like the GM's you may have to turn the steering wheel to your left so the filter clears the steering parts before you remove it.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

http://youtu.be/mGvgRkXu70g?t=1m37s

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

yeah have fun with the oil running all over. That wasn't one of their better ideas IMO. They should have remote mounted that thing so it stood vertical, or at least in a place where it wouldn't piddle all over the place. TO be fair, I think the 302 filter placement sucks too and for the same reason.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes the positions do suck. The Marauder is "fun" to change. Eventually they started (in 04?) putting in a little oil spill trays that funneled a small majority of the spill into one stream. I added this to the marauder. It clipped right on. Don't know if the tray will fit pre 03.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Free rust-proofing is what it is.
              1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Oil capacity is 5 quarts for 1991-02. 6 quarts for 03+.

Comment

4WD Fords with modular engines are even more fun, the front diff is perfectly in the way of the filter as well. The ones I've worked on must have had the spill trays, though. On my '95 GMq I usually drain the pan as much as possible before I loosen the filter, seems to help a little. I run 5-30 synthetic blend and put in 5 quarts, then run it for a bit and top it off. It's supposed to take 5qts but mine usually takes around 5.5.

1995 Grand Marquis GS
                  - 156k miles, three-tone until I find my paint
                  1990 Toyota Camry DX - 211k miles, someone else's future barn find
                  1994 Saturn SW2 wagon - wife's car

Originally posted by SVT98t
                  I'll make it fit.
                  I own hammers.

Comment

Working...
                  X