06 grand marq purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

06 grand marq purchase?

Looking at a 06 gm tomorrow. Has 220k salesman miles with a engine miss. Thinking coil packs. Wanting $1000. Good idea or not?
    70 F250 Camper Special
    77 Ltd
    81 Tbird
    85 Grand Marquis

could be a coil... could be a bad plug... could be a bad wire harness to that coil... could be a bent valve... could be a lot of things. if the miss doesn't make any noise except shaking the engine, it's probably the ignition or fuel on that cylinder. If it ticks and you feel the coil and it jumps with the ticks... it's a blown plug (ceramic core loose)... if it ticks and there's no coil movement, it's a rocker or a valve most likely. Some things to consider. Changing a rocker or lifter isn't bad, changing a valve sucks cause you gotta remove the head.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Person selling had it scanned. Missfire on 2 and 3.
      70 F250 Camper Special
      77 Ltd
      81 Tbird
      85 Grand Marquis

Comment

Not sure of your area but $1K sounds cheap for that year car. Perhaps I am used to South Florida prices so perhaps someone can chime in on that thought.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I dont know if Nebraska is any different, but around Iowa any car that runs, no matter how bad of shape its in, starts at $2500

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
          1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
          88 CVLX
          01 Marquis

Comment

If it's throwing codes on a car that new, it's the primary side of the coil most likely. It could also be head gasket blown between those 2 cylinders. I'd take my compression test kit with me and clip on starter switch (allows you to jump the starter and turn the engine without turning on the car) and test those 2 cylinders first. If they're good on compression, I'd get it and fix the electrical stuff.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If you're a mechanic with your own mini-fleet and have the time and resources to mess around with stuff, maybe. Personally, as a one-car DIY person, I would pass it up. The mileage would be way too high for me. Even apart from engine issues, I'm not sure I'd want to take my chances with a tranny with that many miles. Then consider all of the other stuff that might come up. How much more life would be left on things like the alternator and power steering pump? Steering and suspension joints and bushings might need attention, etc etc.

It might be great for someone who could do engine/tranny/frame/body swaps...

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Buying for short-term or long-term use?
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                X