Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel Day Dreaming

Dear Panthers,

The Shooting Brake is running fine. Quart of oil every second or third tank and fouling the #8 plug. No unpleasant noises. But it's got 350k - 250 on a rebuild and I'm wondering what to do when the day comes.

I'd like a little more performance but won't sacrifice mileage so no HO. Explorer?

I can (probably) rebuild the 302 lopo.

Maybe add a turbocharger?

But I've been reading about the new Dodge/Cherokee 3.0 Diesel which is starting to show up in the yards.

10-15 k installed?

Donald

That would be a cool project, however, would the gas savings ever catch up with you?

Lets say you found a wrecked donor.... $5000, add in another 2k for misc parts and round out with even 5k labor.

Thats 12k.

I'd bet you could build up an HO with labor for 5k.

$7000 buys a lot of gas. A wagon with an HO probably could get 19 on the road. A new diesel in a wagon I'd guess high 20s. Let's say 30.

20,000 miles would be about 2400 in gas (2.25 gallon)
    20,000 miles with diesel would be about 1850 (2.75 gallon)

So for every 20,000 miles you'd save $550.... 7000 extra for the diesel would take you 240000 miles to gain back. This doesn't figure in the extra maintenance costs of the diesel.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I don't quite get why diesel is more spendy than gas, but it are.

There have been 351 builds done specifically for fuel economy. There is a guy on lincolnsonline (or he was there, haven't seen him in a while) that replaced the 5.0 HO in his Mark VII with a 351. He was getting better mileage and it made something like 100 hp more at the rear wheels doing it. I think he was getting about 24-25 mpg, which is around 4 mpg better than stock on those cars, with lower rear gearing and a 4R70w that doesn't have as tall of an overdrive. Effectively at highway speed, it would be like taking the stock 3.27 and changing it for a 3.73. To still get more fuel economy with the higher RPM is a win as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00144.html

particulars are slightly different, but its broadly the the same. A Mark VII weighs close to what a Vic does, but probably 2-300 lbs less than a wagon or a Towncar. The principals still apply though. It would also be considerably less labor and cost to drop a 351 in vs a diesel. The motor mounts fit, a transmission can be had or the existing re-used, the only trick is finding the one accessory bracket that is not the same as the 302 part.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It may be a better option to find a wrecked bread truck or something and grab a Cummins 4BT? Reading through some threads, people claim anywhere from 25 to 30+ in their trucks. Figure the wagon sits slower, doesn't have 4x4, and may squeak in slightly lighter, you might see that 30.

sigpic
        - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

^^ Scott is right on.

4BT swap would be cheaper, far more reliable, and less of a headache. A bread van is the best source.

You would have a simple, reliable, powerful vehicle, for a reasonable investment.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Dear Panthers,

Thanks. Thaine, the guy doing the Lincoln 351 swap had problems with deck height. CP? Donald

Comment

The Mark VII has a bit less under the hood room I think. The extra deck height gives about as much extra width as it does height, and the Mark is pretty tight in the width department. There is a steering shaft and that overly large ABS assembly on the driver's side and just a mess of AC stuff on the other side. Much more room sideways on a panther. Also, the Vics could be had with a 351, so it definitely fits width wise. Its just the height of the EFI intake that *may* be a problem. a 1" spacer typically fits on a Vic or Grand Marq without any trouble, and that would be about how much taller a 351 is.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X