engine/transmission, and general maintainance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine/transmission, and general maintainance

the problem i am having with me 2001 MGM is that when my engine hes been sitting overnight, and it is cold outside (-5 and colder), i go to put my car into reverse to back out of my driveway after about 5 mins. of idleing, and my car nearly stalls. the rpm's drop horrible low, and my whole car jerks to the side. is this something i should be concerned about, or just a cold engine? as for the maintenance part, i have access to a fully tooled shop with a hoist for the next few weeks, and was wondering if there was anything i should give my car before i have to start paying someone to do it.

You should not be having that issue, something is up.

Fuel filter is an often neglected maintenance item, best done on a lift. No promises that it'll fix your issue though.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

How many miles on it? Age alone might be a basis for being concerned about the various steering and suspension joints and bushings at this point, though having over 100,000 miles on original parts would also be a big red flag for checking them out and being prepared to change them eventually. Doing them all at the same time rather than on a piecemeal basis would save you from having to get multiple alignments.

For the stalling problem in particular, does it occur when you're turning the steering wheel? I had occasionally experienced stalling when backing out of my driveway with the steering wheel turned. I later discovered that my Pitman arm was practically seized, and the outer tie rod ends were on their way to seizing. I would presume the strain on the power steering pump had caused the stalling. I've never had a problem since changing them.

As a purely maintenance matter, you might as well change all fluids and filters that haven't been changed in awhile. Also, having the car on a hoist would be a great time to do a thorough inspection underneath and spray a crapload of rust inhibitor.

Maybe a J-MOD to boot? (It's essentially a do-it-yourself shift kit process that makes the tranny shift more firmly.)
      Last edited by IPreferDIY; 02-11-2015, 09:54 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

a dirty IAC can do this too.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Another general maintenance item would be changing the intake manifold if you still have the original one with a plastic coolant crossover. Those leak eventually, sometimes catastrophically. And don't forget spark plugs if you're getting up to 100,000 miles.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

My '92 did a similar thing with the stalling. After it ran for 5 minutes or so, it would start running like shit and stall. Bad O2 sensor was throwing a wrench in the works.
            1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

its got 189,000 kms on it (117,000 miles) ill check out the fuel filter, but i am still wondering why it does this only when the engine is cool?

Comment

If it's a IAC issue, it could be that something is gumming it up and needs a certain amount of heat to become unstuck.

Comment

Working...
                X