Block heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Block heater

As it is starting to get REAL cold in Ontario (-25), i think i should start to use a block heater, although i have never used one before. first question is do i have one? if so where is it located (2001 MGM)? secondly, do i plug int in all night, or just a few minutes in advance?. thanks in advance.

Unless the previous owner installed one or it was ordered from the factory, you do not have one. The heater element would be in place of one of the freeze plugs on the side of the motor. There would be a cord from the element to the front of the car. You can buy one from Ford, Rock auto, or another vendor. I would have it installed at a shop and while they are at it have the coolant changed at the same time. I have on on one of the Lincolns and my Subaru. I plug it in and leave it on all night. I would get a good cord. I bought a 25 foot cord with three plugs made for extreme cold at Amazon. It lights up so you know it has power. In the morning when you start the car, you will have a warmer motor and a warm heater. I would highly suggest getting a battery warmer (blanket) It wraps around the battery, you plug it in to the same extension cord and it makes starting the car much easier on the battery.

Comment

My 2000 MGM has a wall plug on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Check around the top of the wheel well liner for a wall plug, presumably three prong. (Normally I'd go have a look-see for specifics, but it's too damn cold out.) I've never bothered using that one or any prior one myself, so I don't have any actual experience, but I'm figuring you should give it at least one hour. You can get outlet timers at Canadian Tire for cheap, but I can't vouch for their quality. A battery warmer is a good idea too, but again, I've never bothered.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

A block heater is a must in cold temperatures like that. Not only does it cause your engine to warm up to operating temperature faster, but it also keeps the engine warmer against the ambient outdoor temperature. That reduces the risk of damage on start up because everything in the engine is just that little bit warmer. I plug mine in any time the engine is shut off for any more than two hours.
        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

An hour or two before taking off will do the trick. You do not want it in all night as you'll pay for it. There are weatherproof timers available if you need early morning take-off times (Canadian Tire again, they sell them as block heater timers).

Alex.

Comment

okay thankyou all, i actully do have one, it was tucked away under the passenger side rocker cover with zip ties and still has a seal on it of some sort... probably never been used before.

Comment

Working...
            X