New guy, old question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy, old question

Well, new to crown Vic's. Looking to get a daily driver and have had my eye on getting a Vic for a long time. My question is what are the main differences from 03-date? I plan on modding it, mustang wheels, lowering it, performance mods. And am wondering do they all pretty much work for all years?

05 was the start of drive-by-wire, which makes a big difference when you get into throttle bodies, computers, etc.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

And I've seen that, but is that the only major item? Adtr seems to say everything fits.

Comment

Welcome!

I've read about 03-04 having soft rear axles that inevitably need to be replaced prematurely, and 05 having a rear quarter panel antenna oddity. Not sure if these are just Grand Marquis issues or Crown Vics too. I recall sly saying something about all the bugs being out by 2006, so you might want to avoid anything earlier.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

2006+ is your best bet. I have an 11 and its been flawless.

03 Has axle issues, and 2005 is a weird hodgepodge of new and old (ex: New steering wheel, old gauges, fender antenna etc.)

New gauges started in 2006, New Wheel/DBW started in 2005. http://www.pontiacperformance.net/Te...r_Changes.html
          1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

03 - soft rear axles, small electrical problems, typical "new" model teething issues (even if the body was 11 years old at this point)
            04 - pretty much considered by all as the best year, worked out the 03 issues, and still have an actual throttle cable
            05 - dbw, that 1 year only antenna, other various things
            06 - new instrument cluster with tach
            06-11 are fairly similar, 10 or 11's got those huge ugly headrest and new window controls.
            11's seem to have pretty bad build quality, I've seen it first hand and you can read some horror stories on CVN if you wish. The newer the car you get, the more decontented it will be.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
              Welcome!

I've read about 03-04 having soft rear axles that inevitably need to be replaced prematurely, and 05 having a rear quarter panel antenna oddity. Not sure if these are just Grand Marquis issues or Crown Vics too. I recall sly saying something about all the bugs being out by 2006, so you might want to avoid anything earlier.
              Originally posted by Georges86 View Post
              2006+ is your best bet. I have an 11 and its been flawless.

03 Has axle issues, and 2005 is a weird hodgepodge of new and old (ex: New steering wheel, old gauges, fender antenna etc.)

New gauges started in 2006, New Wheel/DBW started in 2005. http://www.pontiacperformance.net/Te...r_Changes.html
              Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
              03 - soft rear axles, small electrical problems, typical "new" model teething issues (even if the body was 11 years old at this point)
              04 - pretty much considered by all as the best year, worked out the 03 issues, and still have an actual throttle cable
              05 - dbw, that 1 year only antenna, other various things
              06 - new instrument cluster with tach
              06-11 are fairly similar, 10 or 11's got those huge ugly headrest and new window controls.
              11's seem to have pretty bad build quality, I've seen it first hand and you can read some horror stories on CVN if you wish. The newer the car you get, the more decontented it will be.
              The one I'm looking at is a 10 fairly cheap, low miles, ex kcpd car. No cage or push guard ever on it.

Comment

Mongoloid Head Rests started in 2011. For all of the negative talk I haven't had many issues.

My 2011 has been to the dealer two times for warranty repairs. Trip 1: New tail panel, water was getting into the reverse light housings, replaced pass side front speaker, because it rattled. Trip 2: New Steering shaft, passenger front lock motor replacement. That was all done at 30k miles. Since then (at 40k now) no issues.

The 2010 should be a fine car. You said low miles, did you check the idle time?
                1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

Working...
                X