Component system going in the Vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Component system going in the Vic

Well, home for thanksgiving, so I'm installing my component speaker system. Checked it all out and found a problem when I opened the box. One of my crossovers was broken. The largest coil had broke one of its wires to the bourd from not being secured to the board. So I decided to redo all of them on both crossovers, so that it would no longer be a concern. Started working on it and found the old speakers that my Dad put in the door many years ago. They had become glued to the door hehe. It was then that I found out the bad news. The whole in the door is for a 6" speakers not a 6.5". But I'm still putting them in there anyways, because just happens that my speakers have a 2nd ridge in the frame that sits on flat Lucky again because if this did not happen, and the speaker went all the way in, then it would have interfeared with the window when rolled down. But again not an issue for mua. Lots are probobly asking, "why don't you use the fatory speaker grills?" I hate them, I think they are out of place, way more so than what I am doing.

Anyways. Speakers are again Cadence. They are 6.5" component systme speakers with 1" tweeter. 6.5" is aluminum cone, tweeter is silk soft dome. 20oz magnet structure. 100watt rms (200watt max) each. And let the pics follow!

Those look like quality speakers.

I know a stereo place back home that sold a LOT of cadence stuff.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Shweeet!!
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Got them in. Still need to finish putting the dash pad and passenger kick panel back on. But they are in, and OH MY FUCKING GOD!!! I have never in my life been around a car that could make your insides vibrate, withoug using a subwoofer. I even made a vid of the front speakers.

Video (3.2mb)

Comment

NICE!!!! I need some good midbass speakers up front - my 5 1/4" 3-ways cant do much... plus one of my crossovers shit the bed :cuss:

how did you wind up mounting them, what made you decide to put the tweeters in the doors, and how close is clearance for the window crank???
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

They clear perfect! The cranks will not hit the grills, even when I am pushing in on them. Though, when I am pushing in they clear by about 1/32".

I mounted the tweeters in the doors for two reasons. Fist, I noticed that all factory component systems put the tweeters in the door, thought there might be a reason for that. Second, I left my dash speakers in, in case I decide to run power to them again one day (since they are JVC 2-way 4" poly cone 50watt RMS speakers that I bought only 2 years ago).

The main speaker mounted as such. I cut a ring spacer out of 3/8" plywood. This is between the panel and the door. Then the speakers are dropped in on top of the panel, so the overall thickness from the back of the speaker to the door is about 3/4" This puts in far enough out that only the smaller end of the speaker is sticking in the door. Another more simple way to have done it is to just push speaker in the door. Even though it would not go all the way down to the mouting surface, the whole would mate to a point on the cage, and when the screws hold it in it will hold its position firmly. However, with cheaper speakers you run a high risk of deforming the cage.

Comment

Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

you should have less rattles thet way too, mounting them to the panel insteaed of the door.
                Thats essentialy how mine are mounted too, but I have the angled baffle between it and the speaker
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

so let me get this strait .... you had to fix brand new quality crossovers from that quality Cadence component set. :bump: That dosent sound like Quality to me.

Comment

Yeah, because durring shipping the crossover was rumbled pretty hard. So I decided to beef them all up, not just the one joint. THe wire that was soldered to the board sheard off from the impact. A wire is not something that can be "designed". You doudt the quality, you can drive down here and stick your head in my car.

Comment

Im not saying it doesent sound good. Its just if i bought somthing brand new and it was broke durring shipping i'd return it. And if i thought it needed to be beefed up i would buy somthing better. Again i'm not Doubting the sound quality. I once had a pair of Jenson 6x9's that sounded pretty good

Comment

I fixed it instead of sending it back because I wanted it now I did all of them as a preventative measure, but I also had to. The crossover cases are transparent, and having one piece different would erk me to death.

Comment

Working...
                        X