3G alternator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3G alternator question

I bought a brand new 130 amp alternator and the M-14305-A351 wiring harness. What else do I need to complete the installation?

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
    5.4L swap coming soon.

Actually you don't need a wiring harness. Assuming this is an 86+ internally regulated alternator you're replacing anyway. It goes a little like this:

Cut the large plug for the stock alternator off. Crimp a ring terminal onto each of the heavy wires. These will connect to the output stud on the back of the alternator. Take a length of heavy guage (say 8 ga or so) wire, add a ring termial to that as well. Connect all those to the output terminal. Run the new wire over to the starter relay on the fender, and add in a fuse holder with about a 100-125 amp fuse. Take the small wire from that plug you removed and crimp on a spade connector. (I think thats what they're called, the same type on most speakers). Plug this into the single connector on the side of the alternator. Plug the original 3 wire plug into the matching connector on the new alternator. Thats it. Enjoy. I'll assume you've already gotten it mounted up at this point, its nothing special or wierd, just have to fiddle with the belt a bit and use a nut and bolt on the top for the tensioner. Do a search on here and you'll find more details.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll pass on your tips to my mechanic. Thanks for the info.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

gadget73, want to build an alternator wiring harness for me? I can remove and replace parts, wiring, etc. The "cut this wire and do this..." stuff, is difficult for me. How much do you want to build the wiring harness for me?

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

sounds like a good idea for a ready made harness, but they changed the plugs on the main harness side a bunch of times......the wiring is easy honestly if you have a crimping tool, a couple wrenches and a prybar you can do the altenator swap youreself

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yeah, what he said about the harnesses. So far we've determined different plugs for 86, 87, and 88. I can get you pics of mine, or there are pics of IvanD's install on here somewhere if that helps.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

NA, intsalling the 3G alternator is real easy, if I could do it anyone can! More info + pics can be found here: http://www.grandmarq.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5227

Comment

My GM is a 1990. I rather have someone who's mechanically inclined to install it. I've replaced an alternator on a '88 Cavalier in the past. I haven't the slightest clue which wire is which if I have to cut and splice, etc.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

I'll go take pics of my install here in a few minutes. Maybe it will help. I think IvanD has some pics of his posted as well. Its actually a very simple wiring setup.

Comment

I returned the brand new 3G alt and bought a used one, saved myself over $50. Should the heavy gauge wire be "4" or "8" gauge wire? Any wiring kit available to make this convo easier?

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

I used 8 guage on mine actually. There isn't much you need to change on the wiring to be fully honest. The small plug remains intact. Cut the large plug off. Take the two fatter wires and put ring terminals on them. Take the small wire and put a push-on type connector like speakers use, or if you happen to have the correct connector from the junkyard alternator, splice that in. Take the two wires you put ring terminals on, plus your new 8 ga wire and connect it to the stud on the back. Take the small wire and plug it into the single white connector location on the side of the alternator. Plug the original 3 wire connector and plug it onto the matching plug on the alt. Connect the other end to the battery via a 100 amp fuse. Have a beer.

Comment

Can I buy this cable and the fuse section somewhere like Autozone, Advance Auto Parts or Pepboy's? I want to put this together this weekend. The local
                        Pepboy's doesn't have it and wants me to order the www.Pa-Performance.com wiring kit for $59.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by N A
                          Can I buy this cable and the fuse section somewhere like Autozone, Advance Auto Parts or Pepboy's?
                          Cable and ring terminals I'd recommend getting from a home-improvement store (Lowe's, Home Depot), it's much cheaper and usually selection is pretty good. Fuses can probably be had from there too, but AutoZone and Advance do have them in all kinds of shapes and sizes.

Comment

How much #8 gauge wire do I need for the car?
                            Last edited by N A; 02-05-2006, 10:53 AM.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Enough to get from the alternator to the battery is all. The routing is up to you. Mine is run around behind the header panel with the wiring harness for the alternator and the headlights. You can shortcut it direct over to the battery by running it across the top of the engine. Personally I like it routed behind the header panel so it looks nice and neat.

Comment

Working...
                              X