Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xenon arc lamps

Hey guys!

So I just installed some HIDS into my car last night, you know, those incredibly bright headlights with the ballast and all (proper mounting of ballast not done yet, but it works rigged up where it is now.). Now I have a few questions, and it concerns just how INCREDIBLY bright these are.

Obviously HID's are very bright, these are 55w lamps, and they are 6000k, diamond white, and it's amazing the light output, but I'm afraid I might blind other drivers. While I did go out for a test ride, and nobody flashed me to let me know I was blinding them, with the sheer amount of light these things produce (I can't even see my high beams when they're on), there has to be someone being blinded.

I haven't adjusted the headlight all the way down, but I want to know what you guys would recommend I do to make sure I stay out of trouble, since I don't have projector housings (and can't find them) for the 1994 GMQ headlight housings.

Anyone else running HIDS in their whales?

I know you know this, but the only way to run HID's correctly is with projectors. Using them in stock halogen housings, creates a scattered, blinding light pattern.
    1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

Understood, they're meant to be run with projector housing, otherwise it basically becomes a floodlight. I don't want to blind other people, if need be I will remove them, but I would like to keep them, as they are very useful.

Comment

Do the projectors come with the lights, or do you have to buy them separate, I plead ignorance...
        "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
        -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Projectors do NOT with the bulbs. You can buy the projector housings for around $200 and then attempt to install them in your own headlight housings.

Comment

ah ha there in lies the challenge lol
            "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
            -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I took them off my Marauder because of the light spread.
              I would love to build a set if projectors for my 93, which is why I may have two spare sets of headlight assemblies laying around.

Also, these are called poverty beams.

-ryan s.
              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
              Originally posted by pantera77
              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Swap they high beams into the low beam holes and put the poverty beams in the high beam holes and rewire accordingly.

Just kidding. get projectors.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yep, do a proper retro fit or don't run them at all.
                  2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                    Yep, do a proper retro fit or don't run them at all.
                    Well now you're just raining on my parade I was hoping for some tips on adjusting them for maximum use without projectors! Looks like that's $50, down the drain.

Comment

Really is no good way to get them to work without projectors. That's the problem.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Even if you got projectors for those housings, you still have the fluted design of the lenses to deal with. Not exactly ideal for focusing light. HIDs need a clear/not opaque lense.
                        Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                        Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                        Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                        Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Unless you are having problems that necessitate all these kinds of "un-natural acts", I'd stick with a high quality OEM type bulb/lighting system. So many folks can't drive as it is and I am not going to make it worse by blinding them as they are coming at me!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                          X