Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filling out the wheelwells, Shits & giggles questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filling out the wheelwells, Shits & giggles questions.

Most stock box panthers always look like "elephants in high heels" to me with the stock wheels and tires. What would I need to fill out the wheelwells a little like the Mercury Marauder? I'm talking 17" wheels or larger. 1" wheel spacers in the rear and 17x8 wheels don't look like they complete the look. I want something that brings the wheel and tire inline with the fender lips. Lowering and Widening the stance like a road race car. Any ideas, any pics of your car?

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
    5.4L swap coming soon.

Just get a tall enough tire to fill the well, on whatever wheel.
    It would have to be a combo to match your particular ride height in the back - you should be able to guestimate something close by comparing the current size tires to something else on one of those online tire size applications. They let you enter in various wheel and tire combos and compare to your original size.
    I think Nate is the only one with larger than 16" wheels anyway. My 255/70/15's fill the wheel well nicely

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I say you need a 33x10.50 to fill out the back and like a 235/75 front. If i ever get money Ill put my lx sport wheels on.
      1989 Grand Marquis LS
      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

How would you widen the stance? Do you have a pic from the rear? I want the rolling stock sticking out a little like a drag car.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

I've got 17x9" wheels on mine with the stock 245/45/17's from a mustang. It has 1" spacers F&R and needs alot more in the rear. A 1.5" spacer would make it look better, but I'm looking to fit some 10.5" wide wheels for the rear with some 315/35/17 or so rubber. I think might actually drop it an inch all the way around also. The biggest PITA is that the track width is quite a bit less on the rear. Makes the car look really funky.
          Attached Files
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

yea tha't why i put the spacers on all 4 wheels lol the towncar looked funky

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

yeah same here Scott if you goin do it do spacers all around
              The Best
              Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

This is my linc with 17x8 '99 cobra wheels and 1" spacers. 255/45-17 front and 275/40-17 in back. The lineup with the inner fender i nthe rear is perfect, another inch or two from the hub would match perfect with the outer fender.

Mike, sure those arent 17x8's?

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Yeah, I was wrong...they are 8" I gotta get some 9 and 10.5" ones...

Comment

I got thick 15's, but I really wish I could get a more filled in look...

Sits high up, but handles good, and it's functional too!
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

My 90 looked pretty good with that setup. 225/75-15 front and 31x10.50-15 rear. With 31's on all 4's it looked to goofy and rubbed alot.
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS
                      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

too bad I don't have the pics of my 87 with 295/50 15's on the rear and 215/70's on the front mounted on the old style explorer five stars. Looked really nice.

Comment

DuceAnAHalf with those 15x10 Soft 8's, Phayzer and Grand_Marquis_GT cars have the look I'm after, but I want it with 17" wheels like Phayzer. Maybe a 1.5" spacer in the rear.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

What do spacers do on wheels?

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                            Just get a tall enough tire to fill the well, on whatever wheel.
                            It would have to be a combo to match your particular ride height in the back - you should be able to guestimate something close by comparing the current size tires to something else on one of those online tire size applications. They let you enter in various wheel and tire combos and compare to your original size.
                            I think Nate is the only one with larger than 16" wheels anyway. My 255/70/15's fill the wheel well nicely

how wide is a stock turbine wheel that 255's fit no problemo? 7inch?
                            1999 CVPI
                            Old Rides
                            1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
                            1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

Comment

6.5 inch
                              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
                              X