body repair questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

body repair questions

I'm new to body work and there are a few rust spots on the '88 that need to be taken care of: around the mirrors and on the driver's side rear door. They have spread pretty bad this year. Sorry if my Q's sound dumb, but if I don't ask, I won't know.

1. What's a good (inexpensive) power tool to have for this job? Would attachments for the power drill suffice? Would a palm sander be better overall since I plan to strip the trunk, too?

2. Can someone give me a run-down on sand paper? What to use and how to go about wet sanding?

3. Any certain primer work better than others? Rustoleum primer good enough? Cover the primer with Rustoleum or Dupli-color paint good enough?

All info is appreciated. More questions to come as I go. Now I just have to wait for better weather. Fuckin' winter temps are here. I'd like to at least get the rust off of the '88, even if I don't prime/paint it right away. She's inside, anyways. I'd like to get the rust and dents on the Cougars rear fender taken of, too.

3M makes a wheel for this that you can put on your drill. It's rubberish and takes the paint/rust off without hurting the metal. I forget the exact name of it, if I come across it, I'll let ya know. You can get a sander if you want, but that wont take the rust off as nicely. I also use a 4" angle grinder with a wire wheel for rust. That takes care of it quickly and easily.

For sand paper, someone else might know better than I. What exactly are you going to sand?

Any primer should be fine. For bare metal get self etching primer. But don't let it sit in primer, go over it with paint.

Comment

if you want your rust repair to last you need to spend the money and do it right with the right tools. the only true way to get rid of rust is to sandblast it or cut out the rusted metal and weld in new. if you don't have any tools to start and you only plan on doin one car it will be cheaper to pay a body shop to do it . using tools on your drill will not achive a good repair . wire wheels on your drill will shine rust and it will look rust free but it will not be . if you grind the shine the rust will re apear

Comment

Working...
      X