Cargo Coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cargo Coils?

These will work for my car right? Suspension is the same 79-02. I want a good looking rake on my car and the HH springs that people put on are not drastic enough. I want a good amount of rake but not so much that I would need bigger rear tires. Would those CNG vic rear springs give a good amount since I don't have the same load on the rear as those with the weight.
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Yes 79-02's are all interchangable. I dont know how radical you want but I recently put in TRW interceptor cargo coils in my merc. It gives it a nice poise now. It is alot better looking than before where the rear was sagging. The ride with KYB GR-2's is like night and day!

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

I found out I could put on C. C. if it was a 92-95 I think. Ok so now I want to get some DD springs in the rear to jack the rear up more. What is the right part # and where should I get them?
      Thanks

Comment

If suspension is the same 79-02, then just go grab some HD cargo coils for an '80s box wagon (Colony Park, County Squire, Crown Vic). I run TRW CC819 (believe that's the stiffest set available) in my TC, and they give her a pretty nice rake, as a matter of fact most of my friends think I'm using some lift kit :evil:

Another option are the spring spacers, mainly used for offroading, but may fit your car too - they go between the spring and the axle, so next time you pop your coils out just measure the diameter of the spring retaining lip on the axle and look for something close to it.

Comment

The pig tail on the rear springs is 2.5" ( i believe there is only 3 common sizes for springs 2.5" 5" and 5.5") if cargo coils dont give you enough rake, you might want to cut the front springs a little.

My 85 has 97 PI coils in the rear, and 89 police springs in the front with 1/2 coil removed
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

If you want the most rake and stiffest rear spring, opt for the TRW coils from advance.

Application: HD cargo coils for 84 Colony Park, 351W.

Thats how I attain that look with the GMGT

-GMGT

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
            '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
            '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Ya but the GMGT has fatter tires on the rear. Will my car look funny without the rears being fat? So Tom just tell the guys at advance what you said and they carry those coils? How much do they run do you remember?? Thanks guys. I read a post on the other site that the cargo coils won't work for mine cause of the watts link. I guess they didn't know then.

Comment

How big is the outside diameter of your rear springs now? the pre 98 are about 7" at the widest point.
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I don't know the outside diameter of the springs. I can pull off a wheel and measure.

Comment

I have the same springs as GMGT, the TRW CC819s. Advance might or might not have them in stock, in the worst case you'll have to wait a day - they get delivered by 7:30am, the store opens for customers at 8:00, so you can pick them up even before work if you want to. Price is around $65, you'll also need two insulators for where the springs contact the frame, altogether with tax and shit should be around $80. And yes, you car will look just fine with a redneck rake, as the wheels of the newer Panthers usually fit the wells really nicely, my car looks weird under certain viewing angle cause the body's like 2" wider on each side, but should be okay.

Comment

Thanks alot Ivan! I think i'm going to order some soon. :slug:

Comment

I just got the wagon springs. My car sits way high in the ass end now. You may need to get a bigger tire but I doubt it as my version of full wheel well is different. I need 33's on the back to fill mine properly but noone else would agree.
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS
                        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Pride
                          I need 33's on the back
                          Super Swampers :evil:

Comment

Ok everyone over at CV N says that the C.C. will not give me a rake with my car. Look. http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/s...b=5&o=&fpart=1 So should I get the CNG coils then?

Comment

Man, there are different types of springs made by TRW (or Moog, or anyone else in that manner), and they have different characteristics according to the vehicle they're designed to go in. HD cargo coils for a newer PI might not be as stiff as HD cargo coils for a box wagon due to total weight and its distribution (front-rear). With the stocks springs my car was just fine, level and nice, but when I put the cargo coils in the rear it raised with like 4-5 inches at the bumper. Dunno what exactly cargo coils those CVN people have been using (as I said, we make several sizes), but I surely know how my car looked before and after them.

I like the idea of the air shocks though, they come with an air line setup for manual inflating, so if you car doesn't have self-leveling equipment you can still install them and the'll work just fine. I my case the Townie already had the self-leveling stuff, so I just hooked up my new shocks to the existing air line, readjusted the height sensor, and currently with 240lbs of sand in the trunk the car sits as high as before. The effect such shocks wil have on an empty car without a computer-controlled compressor (to purge the air) will be exactly a rise in the ass and a nice rake.

Comment

Working...
                              X