2000 headlight adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 headlight adjustment

how do i adjust the headlight position on my 00 merc?
    2000 MGM LS

This is for Crown Vics. Marquis headlamps are not exactly the same, but I am assuming it will work.

Stolen from Linky...

1). Remove plastic shroud (the one with the three plastic retainer tabs under the hood)
    2). Pull the 4 metal tabs from the headlamp assemblies. You will need to use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to remove them. Stick one of the noses into the tiny hole on the top of the tab and pull them out.
    3). Catch the lamp assemblies.
    4). Use a 1/4" ratchet with a 5/32" socket and place it over the metal shaft (with the threads) on the topmost knob. This is the one on top of the smaller knob (you do not need to touch the knob that is by itself).
    5). Set the ratchet to loosen, and grib the plastic knob with the pliers. Start ratcheting while holding the knob still. Let the knob go down a few threads.
    6). Reassemble but do not lock the metal tabs, use them to secure it for aiming purposes.
    7). Turn on the low beams and see if it hits the target (25 ft standard procedure).
    8). Re-do until it hits, repeat procedure for other lamp.
    9). Use the ADJUSTMENT diagram

The factory aiming was 2' below the target point at 25 ft. This is very bad quality assurance, and in fact it is appalling that Ford did not check the head light aiming before the vehicles left the plant. Regardless, I still need to test it at night, but it looks promising.
    -Michael

Comment

^^^
      Sure beats the early snap-rings...

Good Day
      1993 GM LS 244K
      29.5mm PI front bar, ENS greaseable bushings, 21mm rear bar, ENS bushings, endlinks. Black steelies, center caps. Stewart-Warner mechanical oil pressure guage. K&N filter

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII 144K
      All airbags are now coils/struts. Junk tranny, motor donor car

Mercury Owners Group

If you don\'t like what I have to type, don\'t read it. It is only my opinion, nothing more.

Comment

still haven't got this to work...the ford place tried to tell me "no, i don't think that's adjustable"
        2000 MGM LS

Comment

Originally posted by 00merc
          the ford place tried to tell me "no, i don't think that's adjustable"
          Horshit!

Tell the nitwits to read the shop manual... if they know how to read...
          Regards,
          The Old Guy

2004 Grandma MarQuis LS Ultimate HPP

Comment

Good info!
            My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

Yes there is an adjustment ...They are full of shit...I have a hoppies headlite aligner and I have specs....So do not let them fool you...Hell if you want I can print out and fax you the mitchel directions...if you want alldata I have that as well...
              President He Man Woman Haters Club

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

http://www.myspace.com/dabearsplace

Comment

Working...
              X