C6 Transmission...my experince

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C6 Transmission...my experince

Sure this topic has been discussed before; but thought my experience might help someone
    (there seems to be interest in old barges with BBF 460....)

1. Will be using "TYPE F" tranny fluid .

2. Changing the Vacuum Modulator.

3. Pan and Filter

4. Tranny Cooler.

-First, Drain the C6-

Here are some images.
    Note there is one longer bolt that holds the filter! When I dropped the pan; no metal shavings....only some in the filter.

---One must drain the torque converter----Remove shield, Then its time to play a game!
    Find torque converter drain plug by tapping ignition switch before turn over!!!!
    I scored center mass on the drain plug; after spinning the wheel...torque converter drained

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	1303114Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter.jpg
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	1303115Click image for larger version

Name:	Torq.jpg
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1303116Click image for larger version

Name:	Torqu1.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1303117

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

i thought c6's took dextron?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I don't really think C6's care. You could put industrial hydraulic fluid in there and it would probably run.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Would not Type F produce harder shifts? I think it is what was originally called for but you could use Dextron or Synthetic fluids for softer shifts. Not a "trany jock" so perhaps someone can jump in here to verify.

Comment

from my reading... either will work. Specs were: C6 as original: 1966/76 = Type F // 1977/96 = MERCON

Seems type F will give firmer shifts since the Mercon has more friction modifiers to soften the shifts.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

coughcoughDEXRONcoughcough
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

No coughing .....type F is time tested....to include transmission rebuilders that swear Mercon wears down trannys with the SOFT shift; type f is in the tranny

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                I don't really think C6's care. You could put industrial hydraulic fluid in there and it would probably run.
                Yup, fluid for heavy equipment with wet clutches and stuff... Type F ain't got nothing on that, especially the synthetic stuff. Expensive sucker tho, but ah well, gotta pay to play.

IMHO the problem with the C6 is not what fluid it runs, but how much of a bitch it is to dial the shift points properly (both when you want her to shift and how you want her to shift). Manual valve bodies are God's gift to C6 users, especially the reverse patterned type.
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

If you are reusing anything, especially clutches use the fluid that has already saturated the clutch material. An old transmission guy told me that years ago when I was asking about trying trick shift, or using type F in the hydramatic and other such cheap-ass shift feel nonsense. If you are putting in new clutches and essentially tearing the thing down he said use whatever the hell you want, but once you select a fluid stay with it or your clutch material will not last as long and tend to break down after a change in fluid type.

Alex.

Comment

All sound info.....I would have been very hesitant to change the fluid if there was miles on my ride......but 63,000 miles was a no brainer

This was confirmed with the lack of metal shavings and the state of the tranny fluid. Replacing the vacuum modulator will help dial in the firm shifts......least I could do with all of the top end work
                    Last edited by Grand1; 09-05-2015, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Something else to consider is whether the clutch materials or the pump changed along with the fluid change. Would really suck to find out that something is in fact different and you fry the trans from using the wrong goat blood.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                      X