Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just discovered that my 2000 GM does not have air suspension...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just discovered that my 2000 GM does not have air suspension...

Im asking this more out of curiousity than anything else, but didn't all Grand Marquis come with air suspension? I bought my 2000 Grand Marquis LS in October 2014, with 60,000 miles. It is fully loaded. I've been paranoid about my air suspension going until 2 days ago when I discovered that I don't have air suspension, I have coil springs. Is that normal? Did it come from the factory that way? If not, why would the previous owners have replaced the air suspension with coils when the car only had 60k? I am beyond happy that I don't have air suspension, but am curious about it now. Even the window sticker from the dealership that I bought it from has air suspension listed.

FWIW, I have the Carfax and the car has never been in an accident. Also, there is no switch in the trunk to turn off air suspension, nor do I ever see a "check air suspension" light on the dash.

RAS (rear air suspension) was an option on the 2000 GMQ LS. I believe it was standard on the LS cars equipped with the HPP package.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

yep, it came with an option or with the HPP package. Your could well have been replaced because it was cheaper/simpler than the repair to the air system, but many GMQ's left the factory with coils all around.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

It looks like you haven't posted pics of your car anywhere. The easy signs for an HPP are dual exhaust and lacy alloy wheels. If you have those, you can check for: 1. the compressor and its air line under the air filter box, and 2. the solenoids and their air lines in the area above the rear springs. The switch for mine is on the driver's side of the trunk near the fuel cutoff gizmo.
        Last edited by IPreferDIY; 09-10-2015, 01:00 AM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

As previously mentioned it was optional on the Grand Marquis and also on some years of Crown Vics, Standard on Town Cars from '90 up except for the very end of production. If you don't have the switch in the trunk chances are it didn't have if from the factory. More often than not when someone converts to coils they simply unplug or remove the compressor. The previous owner of my Town Car hadn't even done that, they left everything hooked up which makes it amazing that it didn't burn out the compressor. When I converted back all I did was replace the drier and pop in two new air springs. I can't believe they would have taken all the wiring out including the trunk switch. I don't know what year air suspension became an option on the Grand Marquis, but my '95 had it and it was a lowly base model GS. Though I'm pretty sure my Grandparents went to the dealer and ordered that car when they bought it, so you may have still had a little bit of freedom with options back then.
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Alright, thanks guys! I've been very curious about it.

Comment

You'd also have a switch in the trunk to shut off the air suspension if you had it. No switch, no RAS.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep, no switch. I guess it came like this from the factory. I find that incredibly awesome!

Comment

Working...
                X