Bad ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad ground?

Hey guys, I have a question for yinz (Thats Pittsburghian for y'all, or you guys)...When my Colony Park sits for a few days without running, the battery dies. Now, it is a brand new battery, and it won't die if I run it everyday, but if I have to let it sit for any reason and I don't disconnect it, it will die.

My dad thinks it might have a bad ground connection or something like that, he also said it could be my Jensen radio, but it isn't that b/c it is just a cassette deck/radio, although combine that with the speakers and it is quite loud.

But if yinz have an idea as to what could be killing my battery, I would appreciate your advice.
    I have a big WOODY
    [img]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/2112000-2112999/2112976_15_full.jpg[img]

Well, running another ground is not hard, the negative post of my battery handles all the stock wires + one 6-gauge ground directly to the block + 8 14-gauge grounds for the 4 headlights and the 4 relays in their harness. It looks okay too As for the draining, you might have a voltage leak somewhere, check for example the hood and the trunklid lights.

Comment

Don't even dream of your stereo being the cause. Unless it's defective. Check for a draw. Get a cheap volt meter and check the amps going across the battery when everything is shut off. Note, when you pop the hood and the hood light comes on, pull that bulb. Otherwise that current will show up when you use the voltmeter.

Comment

Yeah, check for a current draw before pointing fingers at the grounds or the radio. Glovebox light and trunk lights are good suspects as well as the under-hood light. Alternators have also been known to fail and pull current. Essentially check the draw, and disconnect things till it stops. Under the hood, you'll want to unplug the alternator, inside the car, remove fuses one at a time till the draw stops, then investigate whatever is on that circuit.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ditto that. a bad ground isnt going to make your battery drain over time while sitting.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

A bad cell in ur battery will do that. I had the same problem. I got my battery tested at autozone and they said everything was fine but if it sat or was really cold it wouldnt start and i would need a jump.. Pop the covers off ur batter and look in those cells make sure they are all full..if not all you need to add is a lil distilled water for my understanding and that will get ur cell back up..Oh yeah guys IM BACK.......
            The Best
            Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

Working...
            X