Gauge pods for a 90-91 box revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge pods for a 90-91 box revisited

i've been looking at pics of f-150's on cardomain. f-150's have the shifter mounted on the column rather than the floor like a 'stang does. the vic also happens to have a column shifter. the pics i was looking at, the f-150 column shroud looks IDENTICAL in shape to the vic's. does anyone have a way to research the part # off an f-150 pod?

i wanted a column pod for a tach rather than cluttering up the interior. if i can get some money i might order one.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

I know our steering columns are not the same, but the pod I have is made for a F-150.
    -Michael

Comment

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
      '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
      '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Would a tach column pod work on the '90-'91 cars with air bags? I think I'll put mine on the A-pillar with a gauge pod.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
        5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

I'm revisiting the "tach on the A-pillar" install. Does anyone know if an ('87-'93 Mustang) gauge pod for the A-pillar would fit on our cars?

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

My dad has that on his truck paul, they are kinda shitty, they just slip over the original. I was going to put one on the towny and throw in one of those digital gauges that let you select volts/oil/water by pressing a button.

But justin you can't tell what time it is, looks like your alarm is set half past 7,000. Thats a good time to get up I guess.
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny
              My dad has that on his truck paul, they are kinda shitty, they just slip over the original. I was going to put one on the towny and throw in one of those digital gauges that let you select volts/oil/water by pressing a button.

But justin you can't tell what time it is, looks like your alarm is set half past 7,000. Thats a good time to get up I guess.
              But at the press of a button, his tach doubles as a clock!
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I think a tachometer in an A-Pillar gauge pod is the way to go. It wouldn't obstruct any gauges in the dashboard and hopefully it will look "factory". I got a spare A-pillar cover today and a 2 5/8" gauge pod coming soon. I already have the tach. I'll post the pics when I'm done.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Here is a pic of me doing a trial fit with all the parts. 2-5/8" Sunpro tach, 2-5/8" 5.0L Mustang gauge pod and a spare '90-'91 A-pillar. It looks like this could actually work. I'll post a pic of the tach on the actual A-pillar cover in the car tomorrow.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Take a heat gun to the pod and make it fit the pillar trim. That's how the other guys have done it.
                    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

It'll fit no problem. I just want other guys here to know it would work and look factory installed compared to the "clamped tach around the steering column" look. I'm going to paint it so it looks factory.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Well i'm interested to see how this go's for sure we just might do the same thing!
                        YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

The actual angle of the gauge looks a little "off". I'll see how it looks in the car in the morning.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Here's some pics.

The angle isn't too bad. I want to paint the pod the same color as the A-pillar cover. (I should've bought a "silver-face" Sunpro tach to match my speedo instead of black. The wires can be easily tucked out of the way for a clean looking install).

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                            X