Power Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Seats

Well as i bought my merc it does have a few minor problems. One of them is the power seats they dont move at all. I did have a mechanic check it out for a quick second. and we jumpered the seats and moved the driver one to a better position for me, so i do know they work.

I Checked all the fuses/relay's What should i go on to check next?
    1999 CVPI
    Old Rides
    1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
    1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

maybe the switch? check for power before and after it.
    How did the guy jump them?
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

im not sure, but had one wire on the battery of course than he just stuck the other end on a wire off the switch somewhere.

If the switch was no good than why would it even move at all when we did jump it?

I Dont know too much electrial stuff, how should i go about checking power? testlite?
      1999 CVPI
      Old Rides

Comment

Sounds like they aren't getting power to me. There should be a 30 amp circuit breaker toward the right side of the fuse box, almost in the center. This thing runs the power seats, door locks, and cigarette lighters. If none of those work, try swapping it with the other breaker in there, which should be a 20 or 25 amp unit. If the locks, etc work, unplug the electrical connector at the bottom of the seat and see if you're even getting power and ground to it. Test light should be enough. If you have power here, check it directly on the motor when you operate the switches. If you have no power at the motor, the switches are toast.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
          Sounds like they aren't getting power to me. There should be a 30 amp circuit breaker toward the right side of the fuse box, almost in the center. This thing runs the power seats, door locks, and cigarette lighters. If none of those work, try swapping it with the other breaker in there, which should be a 20 or 25 amp unit. If the locks, etc work, unplug the electrical connector at the bottom of the seat and see if you're even getting power and ground to it. Test light should be enough. If you have power here, check it directly on the motor when you operate the switches. If you have no power at the motor, the switches are toast.
          yea i changed out the breaker for a new one, that didnt help any, so next is test light on the switchs?
          1999 CVPI
          Old Rides

Comment

use a test light to see if you have power at the circuit breaker and fuse - if not then it could be a fuse link.
            If he jumped it at the switch and it worked, than its probably the switch. If you jump a switch and the thing works, that means the problem is at or before the switch. As far as I know the next thing before the switch is the fuse.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
              use a test light to see if you have power at the circuit breaker and fuse - if not then it could be a fuse link.
              If he jumped it at the switch and it worked, than its probably the switch. If you jump a switch and the thing works, that means the problem is at or before the switch. As far as I know the next thing before the switch is the fuse.
              Which fuse is this, i thought it was only that 30a circuit breaker
              1999 CVPI
              Old Rides

Comment

Here is a simplified seat circuit...

Fuse block

circuit breaker or fuse

wiring harness (broken wire?)

plug that plugs into the switches (Bad plug?) Ford plastic plugs are known to break and lose contact.

switches

wiring from switches to motor...

You need to get a test light, ground it to a GOOD ground, and then start going thru the system... I know it is a pain, but open electrical circuits (I.E. not working) are a pain to find! Just keep going until you don't find power... then you will know what's bad.

hope this helps Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Ok well got around to takin the switch out of the seat and hookin up the test light, i got nothing on any of the 7-8 wires that are on the switch, i made sure it was plugged in of course. the circut breaker is good.

The ground i used should of been strong enough it was good enough for fuse box. first i used a door hinge than i used the metal bar that connects the brake pedal
                  1999 CVPI
                  Old Rides

Comment

Well i got around to the bottom of it. i changed the switch to see if that was it nope. The hotwire to the switch that runs under the door sill corroded away in one section. so striped the end put em back together and both seats work from that. I Read that the power on the seats run in a series driver side to passanger side.

So thats 1 problem down 2 more to go (one window off track and passanger door kinda got to push down when you close it)
                    :guns:
                    1999 CVPI
                    Old Rides

Comment

Working...
                    X