Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to buy my co-workers mother's car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to buy my co-workers mother's car.

Hey guys! I currently own a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with 80k miles. I bought it with 50k miles 2 years ago and I loved every mile with it. My car has never gave me issue besides expected maintenance like shocks, ball joints and etc... I was thinking about financing my mom's car at the end of her lease which will be around $580 a month not including insurance.

So I always complemented my coworker's 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS overtime she took it to work (took it a couple of times when her car was in the shop). Last night she told me her mom is gonna sell it soon since she is almost 80 years old and wants to stop driving. Her mother's car has only about 50k miles and has been garaged all of its life. The car is in immaculate condition with no rust (We live on Long Island, NY and we live right on the water so rust is common with cars over 10 years old). The leather seats look like they have never been sat in and rolled off the show room. The only issue she said was the A/C (which I believe just needs a recharge). When I asked her the price she said around $1,000. My jaw dropped and I told her I'd buy it today with cash.

Here is a pic of the car: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1731 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	1303515

** I do notice that there is no chrome trim on the front bumper but rather a black trim. The rest of the car is chrome trim though. Plus the grille has the 2005 30th anniversary emblem that sticks up. Does this mean she has probably gotten into an accident?**

For $1K I'd jump on that deal too.
    Even if the front bumper grille has been replaced, as long as everything was put together properly I wouldn't worry about it.
    I think '04 was the year that had soft axles. I'm sure someone else will confirm that soon enough, but for $1K that would leave some cash to grab some axles if needed.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

possible accident... but could just be old person corner rash repair. Check the screws on the fenders. If they are all factory painted looking, it's probably just a bumper cover replacement and nothing major. I think 2004 was one of the soft axle years, so keep an ear open for rear axle bearing noise. I don't remember any other issues with 04 off the top of my head, but you definitely got a great deal on that one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

A/C almost surely needs a new drier/accumulator. Check the pass side frame rail right next to the rad, the black canister is probably leaking the alien blood. Super common on the 03+ Their like $20 aftermarket.

04 is the best year for whale panthers, I'd hop on that.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

The only ac system that "just needs a recharge" is one that was just evacuated.

If it is low/empty of freon for no reason there is a leak and a recharge does not fix a leak.

Steal of a price even if it was in a minor accident before. Looks kinda cool with the blacked out trim there.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Don't these have the drier wrapped in insulation so it holds the moisture in? If its that and it rotted, it'll need a drier, an evacuation and a recharge with oil at a minimum.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So I just reached out to her and it turned out that the car has never been in an accident. Also turns out the car has 46,200 miles! Hoping she sells it to me ASAP since this will be a nice upgrade from a GS! My car is in MINT condition as well so I think I can get $3K from mine.

Comment

Keep an eye on the LCM (lighting control module). They are prone to failure and you could end up with the low beam headlights and dash going dark at some point, usually in the darkest most rural area of the world. Then only the highbeams will work and that's if you hold the "flash to pass" feature on by hand. Ask me how I know, lol...
                These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Originally posted by FordMan77 View Post
                  Keep an eye on the LCM (lighting control module). They are prone to failure and you could end up with the low beam headlights and dash going dark at some point, usually in the darkest most rural area of the world. Then only the highbeams will work and that's if you hold the "flash to pass" feature on by hand. Ask me how I know, lol...
                  I just looked up that and it turns out its VERY common. Also I saw that its a recall so wouldn't it be free to get replaced?

Comment

Also; How will the car ride? Will it be stiffer than my Mercury Grand Marquis GS? I know that her's has air suspension, so would it ride smoother?

And should I replace the air ride airbags on it so it lasts longer? Or is it possible for leaks to happen in other places in the air suspension?

Comment

I think the axle issue was only for 03 and maybe even only for part of that year.

Regardless of whether you get the LCM replaced for free (not sure how that works for something that old), you can do a headlight relay mod to keep the problematic high current away from the LCM.

I like the air springs myself and would keep them as long as possible. Cleaning them with something that won't hurt the rubber and inspecting them would be a good idea. If no cracks around the bottom, they should be fine for a good while. I would be inclined to replace mine if/when they go bad. I don't have much feel for ride quality unless it's extreme, but keeping the ass end up regardless of load (and easily giving your car a bit of a rake if so desired) is a big benefit. In theory, the air suspension compressor will last a lifetime if not overworked, though rehabbing or replacing the dryer would be a good idea. Leaks can happen at the o-rings in the solenoids, but I would think that sort of thing would be more common in warmer and dryer climates.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

There is a recall if the LCM is one of the defective units. No need to replace the air springs unless they are getting porous from age. They are the part that usually goes.

If you know the car has air suspension does it also have dual exhausts. sounds like a very nice car. If it has a handling package the ride might be a bit tighter then a standard GS but not harsh at all. Generally most folks seem to like the improved handling, primarily due to shocks, springs and sways. and the bit of extra power from the dual exhausts.

You may very well need to inspect and replace components, like ball joints, in the front suspension as the rubber boots deteriorate with time regardless of miles traveled, much like the air springs.

That said all things being equal it should be a very reliable and fun car. Even consumer reports had recommended them as a good used car.
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                          There is a recall if the LCM is one of the defective units. No need to replace the air springs unless they are getting porous from age. They are the part that usually goes.

If you know the car has air suspension does it also have dual exhausts. sounds like a very nice car. If it has a handling package the ride might be a bit tighter then a standard GS but not harsh at all. Generally most folks seem to like the improved handling, primarily due to shocks, springs and sways. and the bit of extra power from the dual exhausts.

You may very well need to inspect and replace components, like ball joints, in the front suspension as the rubber boots deteriorate with time regardless of miles traveled, much like the air springs.

That said all things being equal it should be a very reliable and fun car. Even consumer reports had recommended them as a good used car.
                          I believe it has dual exhaust. I just looked up online and it says that the 2003+ GM have rack and pinon steering. Does this mean it has less play in the steering wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by seeforyourself View Post
                            I just looked up that and it turns out its VERY common. Also I saw that its a recall so wouldn't it be free to get replaced?
                            Yes, replaced for free. Actually, the dealer should be able to look up the VIN to find out if it was already replaced.

Comment

2003+ are rack and peanut. Yeah, I guess you could say it has less play. 2003+ is also the high offset wheels.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                              X