Let's talk about Cleaning Headlight and taillight assemblies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk about Cleaning Headlight and taillight assemblies

So, question is how many people have had times when they get water in there headlight or in a taillight, and it leaves a nasty waterfilled looking headlight? Granite you won't come across it much in the Lincoln's/LTD's, etc., but here is how to fix that problem without having to go to the parts store and buy a new headlight...

1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees, no hotter.
    2. Pull your headlight off of the car.
    3. Once the oven is at 200 deg., turn off the oven, open the door for 10 seconds(Will coll it down to roughly 140-150, depending on house temp(Based upon 71 degrees.)
    4. Put headlight in oven and let sit until oven restores normal daytime temp and all heat is gone...
    5. Pull headlight out, and go over the face of it with a nice glass cleaner...

Whala! Just figured I would share this with a lot of you, it has helped me out tremendously with my Eclipse and also replacement lights...I just figure clean it if you have a good bulb, than having to replace it if it doesn't need changed...

Good luck!

Chris...
    1990 Crown Victoria
    1989 Crown Vic Police Interceptor
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    1972 Stang
    1994 Eclipse w/2.0 Stroker

Interesting...

It will make shit stink tho if there is shit growing inside yourheadlight tho, lol...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I have never seen anything "growing" in one(Other than a ton of wasps), but with the oven it helps kill off that moisture. Besides, if anything was growing in one, 150 degrees more or less isn't going to ignite it, or worse, make it stink, you know???

Chris...
      1990 Crown Victoria
      2003 Mercury Marauder
      1972 Stang

Comment

lol...good point.

Those damn wasps can dies too. goddamn things...
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I noticed that my sealed beams always tended to leak after a year or so and I always purchased decent quality bulbs (Sylvania). I was tired of having to replace bulbs before they burned out due to water inside so I simply put some GE Silicon around the plug on the back of all four bulbs (Sylvania Silverstars) because the factory stuff almost always fails. As for my tail lights, I did have leaks over the years. The lens/ housing sealing was failing so I used Dum Dum (windshield adhesive) to reseal. Only problem is they are a little tough to get apart and you have to be careful not to crack the housings or lens. I also need a new tailight/body gaskets because the others are getting old. Right now they are siliconed enough to stop trunk leaks.

1986 Grand Marquis LS - coupe [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
          sigpic
          1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
          Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by 86GmLsCoupe
            I noticed that my sealed beams always tended to leak after a year or so and I always purchased decent quality bulbs (Sylvania). I was tired of having to replace bulbs before they burned out due to water inside so I simply put some GE Silicon around the plug on the back of all four bulbs (Sylvania Silverstars) because the factory stuff almost always fails. As for my tail lights, I did have leaks over the years. The lens/ housing sealing was failing so I used Dum Dum (windshield adhesive) to reseal. Only problem is they are a little tough to get apart and you have to be careful not to crack the housings or lens. I also need a new tailight/body gaskets because the others are getting old. Right now they are siliconed enough to stop trunk leaks.

1986 Grand Marquis LS - coupe [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
            Whatever works for sure!
            1990 Crown Victoria
            2003 Mercury Marauder
            1972 Stang

Comment

Working...
            X