Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1994 Upper COntrol arms, how to tell left and right

Group
    doing the big brake upgrade and harvested the upper control arms awhile back , and cant remember which is left and right.
    How to tell?

post a picture with the arms side by side
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	1280477

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	1280478

Comment

I am going to say that the one in the right of the picture is for the passengers side.

EDIT: you slipped in another photo so I have to now include the photo I am referring to:

I have them installed that way on my car and everything is spot on.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I guess you can tell by what side that little bolt with
            The rubber bumper under it tells what side?
            Since there on opposite sides
            The pic u enlarged is now up and down
            So which one is right side?

Comment

The bump stop bolt is what clued me in.

I am referring to the first picture you posted.

I also linked the photo (I see it at least) in my response and wrote that "because you added a second picture upside down that I am including the pictured I am referring to" within my response.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

+1 bump stop rearward.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I think there is also an LH and an RH cast into the arm itself.

Without looking at mine I couldn't tell you, but the stock arm has roughly the same geometry. Just make sure the ball joint is offset in the same direction as on the steel one. I want to say that is offset towards the rear of the car, but don't hold me to that. If you sit it in there, it'll either look right or very wrong. You should be able to draw a basically vertical line from the lower ball joint to the upper. If its way the hell off of vertical, the arm is on the wrong side.
                  Last edited by gadget73; 07-19-2016, 08:10 PM.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

As you see the arms are asymmetrical, the ball joint location is closer to one bushing than the other. The longer leg of the control arm goes towards the front of the car, the shorter one towards the rear (ball joint is closer to the rear bushing than the front one). The bump stop bolt then sits behind the ball joint. The studs for the ball joints should point up. Additionally the shafts have teeth cast into them on one side where the bolts go thru, but not on the other side - the smooth side should point up, and the teeth must face the frame (the teeth are there so they bite into the frame and as a result the control arm doesn't have much of a tendency to move around).

Also, if you were planning on installing Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings, you are now mildly screwed - they reuse the outer shells of the factory rubber bushings, basically you burn the rubber bushing out till there's nothing left of it but a steel shell that's pressed into the control arm. Then you wire-wheel the inside of said shell nice and clean, and slip the poly bushings in, and then slip the inner sleeves inside the bushings. I am not aware of any poly bushings that come with replacement steel shells, not for this application at least - so you're either stuck with rubber bushings, or you buy the cheapest rubbers you can and after installing them promptly burn the actual rubber section out. Doing the "install just so you can destroy it" thing is not unusual for vehicles that live in the rust belt, as their bushing shells can be pitted pretty nasty which renders them unsuitable for new poly guts.
                    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Working...
                    X