Special Edition production numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special Edition production numbers?

I just saw a 1996 Crown Victoria with a vinyl half-roof treatment that completely omits the small windows in the back and makes the roof look more like the Grand Marquis. I was wondering if there were any records kept of production figures for special models like that. Did Ford farm that stuff out to a different coachworks or do it in-house?

I know that in general the majority of vinyl roofs were gone after 1991, but a fair number have been popping up on Craigslist lately among the 1992 and up cars. This is the first Vic I've seen so far though with this particular type of roof treatment.
    David
    1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
    14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....

You'd probably have to get dealer specific option stats as that seems to be mainly outsourced dealer options.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If Ford sent them to a specific aftermarket company, you could possibly contact that company for info. You would need to know the company name though... Maybe someone else can fill in that blank.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

As far as I know, all those were done by dealers that wanted the cars to appeal to the more "traditional" Crown Vic buyer.

Comment

Dealer installs, not factory.

Comment

You may find a sticker from the coach builder on the door near the factory dataplate. Otherwise yeah, its a dealer add-on thing.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My '89 had the vinyl replaced with cloth as part of the 50th anniversary edition package. The company that the dealer had modify the car put the sticker on the underside of the trunk lid. That company actually put the wrong sticker on my car (and another) since the VIN does not match. That tells me the dealer had the mod done to a batch of cars.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Interesting about the incorrect stickers. Reminds me of stories about incorrect build sheets from the factory and in a case or two a whole wad of them for a bunch of cars stuck into just one.
                David
                1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
                14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....

Comment

Originally posted by fordnmerc View Post
                  Interesting about the incorrect stickers. Reminds me of stories about incorrect build sheets from the factory and in a case or two a whole wad of them for a bunch of cars stuck into just one.
                  Those cars probably were built on a Monday, when people were hung over from the weekend. or on a Friday. Employees couldn't wait to get off for the weekend, so they hurried things up or did not care.

Comment

Seems to me they'd be more likely to run production 7 days a week rather than starting and stopping the machines. Usually thats when things break.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Build sheets in general are supposed to be removed as they install stuff. Its considered trash. You find them becuase they are out of sight out of mind, and you find one when the guy who was going to rip that one out didn't bother, or had the line get beyond his place. And you might find a wad of them due to the fact they got hung up and he has no time or care to pull them out as the car moves to the next station.
                      Build sheets are only important while the vehicle is rolling through the assembly plant, and they are only important to the end enthusiast. We only find them because of somebody not doing a complete job at the assembly plant.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                      X