electrical gremlin!!! (UPDATE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrical gremlin!!! (UPDATE)

so i was cruising tonight when all of the sudden my headlights started spazin, flickering on and off, luckily i was close to home, what should be the first thing i check for tomorrow when i look at it? good thing i have 2 cars lol!

Nick

sounds like the headlight switch
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

i was jiggling it around but it seems like when i hit a bump it would make them flicker, is there a relay or something that would be loose?

Nick

Comment

no relays - its just the switch and the lights - and is the reason the headlight switches burn out.
        the bump thing could be a bad connection in the switch or fuse box getting jarred.
        Also there is a connector on the drivers fenderwell with the headlight wires in it - those connectors are bad about getting corroded. open those up and have a look.
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

thanks man i'll check out those 2 tomorrow, this site is a godsend to me! you guys give me the inspiration to keep working on cars!!

Nick

Comment

ok the headlights didn't flash today so far? what gives? i was bumping the headlight switch and bumping the fuse panel, i checked what i believed to be the headlights harness and bumped that around and the lights stayed on! i'm just worried that if i drive at night they'll go out again. where exactly is the headlight harness i wanna be sure i checked the right plugs, and is there anything else to check for?

Nick

Comment

Im not sure exactly on yours, but you should be able to follow the wires from the headlights back to it. Id say also check the connections on the headlights themselves, but the fact you said they both flicker makes me think its a switch/wiring problem.

The classic symptom for a switch or switch connector being 'burnt out' is intermittant flickering - eventually they will quit working altogether if thats the problem.
              Do you have any foglights or acessories wired into the headlight/marker light circuit? Thats an easy way to burn the switch up if you dont use relays.

Id replace the switch for peace of mind about that and go from there.
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

ok i'll get a switch and go from there, also i can't figure out how to get the knob out of the switch to pull the front part of the dashboard off, i read somewhere that theres a clip that you have to push but i can't seem to get it?

Nick

Comment

what are you driving? If its a grand marq its pretty easy, pull off the speedo trim and theres should be just 2 screws holding the whole light switch plate in.
                  If its a vic you are in for some cussing - you have to contort your arm up to the switch from behind the dash to hit the buttom on the side of the switch facing the passenger side of the car.

Good luck!
                  sigpic

Comment

i'm driving a merc but the switch sounds like the one you described for the vic, its the round pull out switch, i can't get the dash trim off cuz the knob won't come out, i'll try the button on the side of the switch if i can find it, i can pull the dash out enough to see the plate, there are 4 screws holding it in, anywho i'll let you know if i make any progress tomorrow, thanks for the reply's!

Nick

Comment

Might also be the ground connections on the headlight harness, the multi-function switch in the column, or like Pete said earlier, the connection over on the starter relay. I'd honestly pull and clean all the connections on the starter relay just for the sheer hell of it, as the entire electrical system on the car feeds off this point.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A few years ago when my g-pa was still driving the wagon, he had the same problem, and it was the swtich. It only happened spontaneously, and he couldn't replicate it, but after he replaced the swtich it didn't happen again.
                        Nick
                        88 Colony Park LS
                        G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                        Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

i have another question. if i replace the headlights with stock ones that should fix the problem correct? from what i've learned you guys said the new headlights are overloading the switch causing it to sporatically cut out, if i replace the headlights with oem that should cure the problem?

nick

Comment

Nick, why don't you make the relayed harness? With it I was able to boost the stock 2x35W low beams to the blazing 4x55W, that's like 3 times more light! High beams went up with only 40watts (4x65 vs. the stock 4x55), so now I'm running 220W in low and 260W in high, and that's without any driving lights, fog lights, or anything of that kind.

Actually IIRC I mentioned you that I'll be doing a write-up about that whole deal... sorry man, never got around it, but I promise I'll get it done by Monday. So tomorrow someone please remind me of that in a PM

Comment

If the problem is already there, changeing headlights wont solve it, the dmage is done most likely. What non-OEM headlights are you running?

I plan to do what Ivan did - I already have relays installed and wired into my 90's panther fusebox, I just keep forgetting to pull a spare headlight harness to use to hook them up (so I can put it back to the orginal way in a few seconds, if there are any problems).
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X