1984 Delta 88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 Delta 88

I haven’t been on the forum much cause I’ve been super busy since the spring time.
    2 Weeks ago I bought an 84 Delta 88 with 53k on it. I still have the bird. Gave that to the wife. Saw the delta on craigslist a few times as the price kept dropping on it. Went 3 weeks ago to Ohio to look at it and take it for a ride. Drove real nice. 4 days later I went back down there with a buddy of mine and drove it home.
    I bought it cause Delta 88s I have an attachment to them. My grandparents bought one brand new in 84. Same color too.

From the ad:

The drive home from Ohio:

It’s got a few issues like the rusty rear door, it needs a gas tank, a trans and vinyl top trim. Not bad for $2100. The undercarriage is near mint. It was undercoated. Also, I've got receipts dating back to 84 of the work that's been done.

Few pics at the parents house and at work:

'93 T-bird
    '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
    '88 Mark VII
    '86 CV

Nice cruisers. Was the filter housing top flipped when you got it?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

That is really pretty. Nice find.

Comment

Yeah flip that air cleaner lid over so it actually seals the hot underhood air from being sucked in. Besides it's still hot out there, might as well make use of any cooler air charge you can get by running the flow thru the ducting only. Once winter comes around and weather gets stupid cold, you can then flip the lid like it is now to provide warmer air for more consistent A/F mixture.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Good looking Delta 88. When I worked for a dealership, I sold those when they were new.
          Big mistake when GM sold them with optional diesel motors.

Comment

Its a 307, its not going to matter. May as well make it sound faster. They have a thermostatic heat stove thing to suck hot air off the manifold anyway if all that is still in place and working right.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My Grandparents owned a red Delta 88. Grandpa traded it in for a white box CV after a few years
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Uncle had one of those. Got it after the same model wagon got totaled. He sold it like 10 years ago for dirt cheap. Had 50k on it.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Welcome back!
                  That car looks really good for its age, especially for a car from the rust belt.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                    Welcome back!
                    That car looks really good for its age, especially for a car from the rust belt.
                    Yea I was just as surprised when I went and checked it out in person. The rear pass door is the worst of it. Looks like they ran into something and the bottom window channel is bent allowing water to get in. I'm guessing that's what rusted out the bottom of the door.

Jay, no it wasn't flipped. The elderly aren't into that sorta thing lol. I didn't flip the air cleaner lid till last week. Good god is that thing loud when you stomp it.

Mainemantom, A guy I work with used to work in a junkyard and he said he used to swap out those diesels on the b and c bodies for gas motors. People hated them!

'93 T-bird
                    '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                    '88 Mark VII
                    '86 CV

Comment

Time to up-date your signature pic.
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Pretty nice for a Brand-X, although that steering wheel is an acquired taste. I get a kick out of watching even bad '80s movies now just to perv on the cars. Would really like to get an old dodge diplomat and put like a 408 stroker LA motor in it. Or a newer HEMI I guess would be a good swap too. I'll always be the last person to even suggest this, but that Olds is ripe for an LS swap. I hate myself for even thinking about it but realistically, it's at least the right family. Put one in a Ford and i'd be inclined to kick you in the nuts.

Anyway, nice car, would love to see it fixed up and maybe with a nice set of wheels and some exhaust too. What plans have you in store aside from the necessary repairs?

Comment

+1 on the LS swap, but I wouldn't go for one of the stupid high HP ones. I'd pull a 5.3 and trans out of a Chevy 1500 or Tahoe, freshen it up and drop it in. Decent HP and dead nuts reliable.
                          1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Comment

Vid I took on sunday.
                            https://youtu.be/i8kC0L095k8

Took off the body molding today. I think it looks much better.

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                            Pretty nice for a Brand-X, although that steering wheel is an acquired taste. I get a kick out of watching even bad '80s movies now just to perv on the cars. Would really like to get an old dodge diplomat and put like a 408 stroker LA motor in it. Or a newer HEMI I guess would be a good swap too. I'll always be the last person to even suggest this, but that Olds is ripe for an LS swap. I hate myself for even thinking about it but realistically, it's at least the right family. Put one in a Ford and i'd be inclined to kick you in the nuts.

Anyway, nice car, would love to see it fixed up and maybe with a nice set of wheels and some exhaust too. What plans have you in store aside from the necessary repairs?
                            Thanks! Everyone does LS swaps to everything. Been overdone. Don't get me wrong I think they're great motors. I do enjoy the steering wheel. If I change it I might do an early 70's Cutlass or Holiday 88 wheel. I'd love to see an older diplomat with a 513. That'd be pretty wicked. I watch Adam-12 and shows like that just to look at the old cars lol.

I'm looking at a set of wheels for it. Might do that this weekend if they're good enough. I really want to do duals on it but I'm not sure what mufflers to get. I've been listening to exhaust clips on youtube for like 2 weeks straight lol. Other than that maybe a few engine dress up things like a different air cleaner and valve covers. And gears. The 2.41s just don't cut it. I'm hoping by spring or early summer next year of getting 3.73s.

'93 T-bird
                            '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                            '88 Mark VII
                            '86 CV

Comment

I got some wheels for it. Not what I was looking at a while ago tho.

Got them for $100. They need to be cleaned up a bit and painted. But overall not bad. I wasn't sure how they'd look on there but I like them.

'93 T-bird
                              '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                              '88 Mark VII
                              '86 CV

Comment

Working...
                              X