Wont turn over/crank - New intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wont turn over/crank - New intake

Ugh, I hate posting two threads but I need some other brains working on my daily driver (second intake).

Replaced the intake (again). Everything is connected, all bolts and parts accounted for. Went to start it up and it turned like a quarter turn and it stopped.

First thought was hydrolock. We pulled the spark plugs and sure enough one of them shot out like a bullet and smelled like gasket cleaner.

Went to crank it again (with a jump pack on it just in case) and the "High Speed Cooling Fan Relay Fuse" blew. Haven't been able to replace it yet but I have several fears. If anyone has encountered this before or has an idea...

Thanks.

If you want some interesting backstory: This car is a beast. It has been totaled twice, including a collision with a semi and repaired with minimal body work. It's a 98 Grand Marq, almost new alternator, new intake, new ignition harness, new headlight assemblies, new header panel, new coil springs. -.- Engine has literally never given me trouble before.
    Last edited by ZRH; 11-26-2016, 02:36 AM.

Did you leave a rag jammed in a port?

Comment

Can you turn the motor over with a breaker bar with all plugs removed? If its stopping, it sounds like you've got something inside the motor. Rag maybe, mouse, your precious toddler's favorite toy, etc.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Can you turn the motor over with a breaker bar with all plugs removed? If its stopping, it sounds like you've got something inside the motor. Rag maybe, mouse, your precious toddler's favorite toy, etc.
        We stuffed paper towels into the heads while we were working on it for safety. It turns over like butter with a ratchet on the harmonic balancer (and the accessory belt loosened).

Comment

Pull all the plugs out, disconnect injectors from their harness, crank - does she spin up nice and fast? The plug that shot out on you did so cause you had just built up good compression in that cylinder and it was still pressurized inside, tells me your valves are sealing quite well. If she cranks good put the accessories belt back on, and try it again - you may have an A/C compressor locking up on you.

Also do make sure your battery is good. I know it sounds stupid but I seem to recall at least once when the car drove in just fine, and then the battery just died practically overnight. Don't trust the jump pack for that, IMHO the only ones that actually work like they're supposed to are the stupid-expensive ones tow truck drivers use (cause their tow trucks are stupid-sensitive and may fry themselves if the driver attempts to jump another vehicle the old-fashioned way).
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Battery was hella dead.

Charged it all night. Now the lights and stuff dont come on and the only thing that seems to be flashing is the anti theft system light on the dash.

Comment

might have to unlock it with the key fob or something to reset that. I don't know the particulars with the later security system but on the old ones, you had to either enter the keyless entry code or unlock it with the key in order to reset that. I presume later ones that have factory key fobs also will clear by using that.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So we finally got the starter replaced (one of the bolts was uncompliant and it's hard to work during multiple blizzards). The old one was completely bad.

It now has an interesting issue where it wont crank but every time you turn it to ignition it loses power until you disconnect the battery. All I can think is that it must be a circuit breaker. The high speed fan relay fuse did blow before the starter went. The low speed fan relay is on a breaker.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Comment

check the ground cables on the engine block, frame, battery. Check the + cable at the battery and all the way to the starter. If it's chafed all the way through the insulation somewhere, it could be grounding out and that could cause other problems including HOT battery and unfriendly arcing. I'd also double check that all of the end points are are tight, including the ignition trigger wire at the starter. If it's that damn slip over connector, make sure it's not all crudded up with corrosion.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                  X