Whistling right above engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whistling right above engine.

I was pretty sure I wrote a thread on this, but couldn't find it.

My issue is I hear a whistling sound that seems to be coming from the top/rear of the engine. It seems to be coming around the upper intake/IAC area. It is incredibly hard to narrow a sound coming from the engine, but that is the best I could do.

It goes away when you give it throttle, but comes right back when you back of of it.

((((UPDATE))))

So, I had used a propane torch "torch" and turned the gas on and went around the "area of concern" to see if the idle changed, no dice.

It sounds like its coming from the upper intake right by the throttle body.

I mean, it's consistent with the IAC, I guess

One thing I noticed one two occasions, when I first start it in the morning, it doesn't make the sound, but within a few minutes of running, BAM! it does it.

It's driving me nuts!!

I will try the carb cleaner trick (consistent with the propane thing I was doing) and take off the alt belt
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Sounds like IAC whistle to me. I've had it before on another car and cleaned up the IAC. Also noticed that it only did it when it was cold outside. Once it got above about 38* it would be quiet.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

that's what I will try to do. take the IAC and clean it with brakecleen

don't feel like forking over 50 bux just yet

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

bit of chit around the air bleed hole in the throttle blade could do it too. Worth a cleaning of the throttle body while you're at it. Otherwise if its working, spend less time idling
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

throttle blade? you mean the throttle plate?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

If you do replace the IAC, get a Motorcraft or Hitachi replacement. Aftermarket IACs have a short lifespan on Fords for some reason. Hitachi designed and made the originals for Ford, so they are great and can be had cheaper than a Motorcraft if you shop around. The Hitachi I just put in my '97 was identical to the original, except it wasn't rusty, it even had the same casting marks on the housing.
            -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
            1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
            1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
            1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Didn't know thats who the OE was. I always assumed it was Bosch, given that so much of the other factory EFI bits were Bosch. Some of the aftermarket ones just don't work correctly out of the box. Some of it I think is just bad design or incorrect part dimensions.

Throttle plate, throttle blade, same thing. Round flappy thing in the hole.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Butterfly!
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

"the go flap"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

haha thanks. I'll be doing some cleaning then

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
                      If you do replace the IAC, get a Motorcraft or Hitachi replacement. Aftermarket IACs have a short lifespan on Fords for some reason. Hitachi designed and made the originals for Ford, so they are great and can be had cheaper than a Motorcraft if you shop around. The Hitachi I just put in my '97 was identical to the original, except it wasn't rusty, it even had the same casting marks on the housing.
                      This! Bought a cheapie replacement and my idle surge got worse. Wound up taking the IAC motor from the new one, sticking it on the rest of my old Ford one for a winning combo.

Hahaha, round flappy thing in the hole.

Comment

I bought the Motorcrap one and it sucked as much as the factory one yet lacked the factory markings. My solution? I found a clean one at a yard, took it apart, cleaned with with Berryman's carb & choke cleaner, oiled the motor shafty thing and all has been well since.

Edit: I'm such a dork that whenever I have the air snorkel off and engine running I cover up the IAC hole in the throttle body for funsies.
                        Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 01-24-2017, 11:37 AM.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Gotcha. I have heard of people going to salvage yards to rescue used ones

One other thing I noticed, the whistling does not happen on a cold start. It takes a few minutes to develop and over the course of say a half an hour it gets progressively worse

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Hmm, you verify that it is indeed the IAC?
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

No I still have to take it off. I am not sure how you would verify it's busted (other then the idle being weird- which it isn't) other then cleaning it out

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X