heater core?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heater core?

i need to do a heater core in my waggin 87 colony park, i was told that you have to remove the entire dash is this true, or would someone like to do a step by step for me,lol any help would be great!
    Richie
    No Vacancy Customs
    www.novacancycustoms.com

Yep, gotta remove the dash. the heater box is tucked up under the dash. It's fun. It's a day or more job if you haven't done one before. Also a great way to break up the gear indicator and scratch up the dash/steering column.

I got it down to 1.5-2 hours for the swap. If you are near someone, get them to help!
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

well i am a apprentice, i just thought id make sure the dash does have to come out cause some people tell me no and some yes , so if anyone knows how to without takin the dash out feel free to explain!1,lol :rock:
      Richie
      No Vacancy Customs
      www.novacancycustoms.com

Comment

You don't have to take it completely out, just drop it onto the floor. You'll have to drop the steeering column to get the clearance. The heater box will have to be dropped and you can get to it. It's just kinda tricky. If you have done a FOX body, this is WAY easier, because the A/C evaporator is seperate from the heater core.

Comment

as i guess i will just have to see as i o? i got another apprentice friend of mine helpin so it shouldn't take long just thought id get some pointers before i start
          Richie
          No Vacancy Customs
          www.novacancycustoms.com

Comment

Well, it's not too bad. There are some bolts that are tough to get to.
            Basically here are the steps:
            Remove dash pad
            remove lower 2 nuts from the heater box
            drop steering cloumn (make sure to take the gear indicator off first!)
            remove upper dash bolts- leave one in the center to hold the dash up
            remove lower bolts. 3 IIRC. 1 under each kick panel. 1 in the center on a support bar on the left of the ashtray.
            Put a rag on the steeering column
            take that one bolt out from the center of the dash.
            It should come down.
            take the hoses off the heater core and flush the core with water (trust me it makes much less of a mess)
            Then remove the nuts on the studs that hold the heater box in. (these are in the engine compartment. 3 IIRC
            Head back into the car, the box should pull back. There are 4 screws that hold the cover on the HC. remove them and pull the HC out.

I've only done one in the last 4 years...but, that's pretty much it.

Comment

I replaced mine about a year ago. I guess it wasn't that long of a job. Maybe 2-3-4 hours. I took forever because I had to put a hing on my blend door. That was a pain in the ass.

Comment

this may sound stupid but wat part of the dash is the "dash pad" is that the whole dash or wat?
                Richie
                No Vacancy Customs
                www.novacancycustoms.com

Comment

The padded part on top.....
                  '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                  '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Working...
                  X