May consider a 03+ Vic or Town Car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May consider a 03+ Vic or Town Car...

So I may be considering selling my Vic back to its previous owner and picking up an 03 and up Vic or TC. I've kinda decided on that range because they are newer and more plentiful while staying under 5k. I would also like under 150k miles. I would LOVE a sport lx vic but those are getting hard to find lol. I'm also considering Town Car's because a modded Lincoln is just awesome!
    I have a few mods planned...
    Full exhaust.
    Lowering and other suspension mods
    Wheels...staggered with at least 10in wide in the rear..either 17s or 18s and I'll make that decision later.
    The basic bolt on's - which I'm still learning about on here...
    Gears
    Braking upgrades
    And at some point cams.

I'm starting to like the idea of something newer....idk just call me weird lol. So who has done cams? I've done search and really didn't come up with much in either section of the forum. I also see there are some MAF and intake tube variations out there...but oh well just throwing the idea out there. Let me know what you guys think.

Sent while like doing stuff and what not.
    1990 Crown Vic - Lowered, E303 cammed, Short tube headers, H-pipe and Thursh welded mufflers dumped....MANY UPDATES COMING
    1999 Expedition EB mildy lifted on 33" Toyo's
    2012 4Runner Trail, 33" Duratracs, KDSS,lifted and louder.

There are good and bad points to the whale cars. I sometimes miss my '98 but would likely tend toward a '00-'02 to get PI heads but not the later steering/front suspension. A set of gears, an MZT and a tune really wake up the whales, but I just abhor the complete lack of low-end torque. While sadly they accelerate quicker than most boxes in relatively stock form, they don't climb hills for shit and are easy to catch "between gears" if you know what I mean.

They do, however, have the torqueless wonder modular engines which damn-near run forever unless you fuck up or get some kind of a dud. The 4r70 is a badass trans as well, driving my lame old AOD makes me miss my p71 too. I suppose ultimately it's up to finding a car that just speaks to you, or is just good enough at a good price.

The '03+ cars are slightly easier on wheels but for the right fit you'll likely still end up using spacers. '98-'02 use the same basic wheel dimensions as boxes so selection is different, but not difficult.

Comment

98-02 are a no go for me. Older steering, old style front fender lips, that are prone to rotting out easier etc.

Stay away from 2003, there were axle issues, and timing gear problems.

2005 also I'd stay away from, first year for Drive by wire, but still had the old cluster and lots of first year bugs.

In short, either 2004, or 2006-2011.Get an LX/MGM/TC, P71s are garbage
      1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

If somebody told me I had to choose between my old '89 MGM (pre-smashed up of course) and the '08 VC, I'd pick the box. Boxes is better. =-) Not that I don't like the '08, but it has a growing list of things that annoy me on the future repair front, it also does things very well compared to the box. But for long term ownership, the box has only one bit of computer kit to deal with: EFI. The 08, canbus and modules out the wazoo.

Depends entirely on what you like, what sort of systems you like working on, etc. One way to find out for sure, is get one.

[quick edit since the above post popped in while writing; the P71 is my preference. Manual HVAC, dark car, buckets that I find comfortable, and best of all, rubber floor that is easy to keep clean.]

Alex.
        Last edited by GM_Guy; 02-19-2017, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I only say no P71 because of the general beat to piss factor. Now if you found a nice clean one that's different.
          1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

Working...
          X