Brown mirrors 97 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown mirrors 97 Town Car

The mirrors on my 97 Lincoln Town Car are brown in color. The passenger side mirror is completely clean. But, the rear-view and driver side rear view mirrors are both brown in color. Any idea as to what causes this or how to fix it? I did notice that the rear view mirror inside the car is an auto-dimming one.
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

If its splotchy, its probably water getting between the reflective coating and the glass. The older ones would get like that. If its uniform, not sure. The exterior mirrors are not auto dimming on these, don't think that was an option until probably 10 years later. The rear view mirror could be stuck in "dim" mode though, thats sort of a gold color.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The only two possibilities I can think of are covered in gadget's reply. Pics?
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

It's uniform and goldish. Its so weird and so far, I want to say it's just because it's older but why the passenger one is fine makes me scratch my head.
        sigpic
        1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

The backing of the mirror itself rusting.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

do you have an auto dim rearview? Try unplugging it. If they go back to clear, its something funky with the rearview sticking it in dimming mode. Still pretty sure the exterior one is not auto dim on a 97 though.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
              It's uniform and goldish.
              Got one of those here too, but it's an Olds Bravada mirror - driver side goldish-tinted, passenger side clear. Both mirrors are removed from the vehicle and thus obviously unplugged from any power sources. The goldish-tinted mirror also has an air bubble between the glass and whatever's back behind it, said air bubble appears to be free to move around will always migrate to the uppermost edge of the glass if you flip upside down. Doesn't seem to be growing in size, doesn't care for temperature either. The mirror itself is nice and smooth and, well, mirror-like, objects can be seen clearly and in their proper colors, just the overall shade is darker. Almost like she's stuck in dim mode, but again, there's no power applied. Actually that may the problem, lack of power makes it go dim, give it juice and it clears up? Guess I got some testing to do...
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

95-7 Signature and Cartier could be had with dimming side view mirror driver side at least.

Push in on top part of mirror. There's a tang on bottom of mirror back side. Move lever in opposite direction - glass will pop off.
                -Nick M.
                Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

The 97 Cartier I am parting out also has the gold/brown tinted drivers side mirror. The passenger side is NOT tinted. My car does have the auto dimming option. ~WagonMan
                  89 Colony Park
                  90 Colony Park
                  70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Hercouple pics.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Rearview looks like a dimmed auto-dim. Possible the exterior one is tinted just for glare reduction? I often move mine so I can't actually see out of it at night. I get blinded when people are behind me in the wrong spot.

Comment

Working...
                      X