window problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

window problems

hm im not really sure if this is in the right forum area or not but its my best guess... so anyway my front driver side window does not roll up or down when i push the switch. i have to manually push/pull the window up and down. my friend had this problem in his corolla and he just had to buy a new motor for it, which is probably all i need to do too. so on to the next one... the rear drivers side window also doesnt go up or down when i do the switch, BUT i cant even physicaly push or pull it up or down. its stuck about 3-4 inches down and i cant get it up at all...which really sucks in the rain and snow. it especially suck in the winter here because its pretty damn cold and not only do i have no heat in my car but i also have a window in the back letting even more cold air blow in... i think ill make another post about the heat in the electrical section so anyway am i right about the front one, andwhat do i do about the back one?

The first thing I would do for the rear window is replace the switch. And for the front window. Seeing as how you are able to move the glass by hand chances are that the whole window regulator is bad. Do you have to push the switch when putting up the front window? Do you hear any sounds when useing the switches?

Comment

If the motor for the front window makes noise, probably what you need to do is remove it and rebuild it. Pull the door panel, and you'll see 3 small dimples. Drill at these with a 1/2" drill bit so you can access the 3 screws behind them. Remove them and pull the motor out. Once its out, remove the one remaining screw in the gear housing. Chances are you'll find grease and a bunch if plastic mushy stuff. Clean all this garbage out, and go to Autozone/Advance/wherever and pick up the replacement rollers. Costs about $5 for a pack of 3, and they're avaliable in the Help! section. Install these and pack it with white grease. Re-assemble. Its also a good idea to apply a liberal coating of white grease on the slider track on the bottom of the window glass and to the gears inside the door. For the back one, if it doesn't make noise, I'll agree with Chachi and say the switch. Or, it could be the motor gave up. Not sure if you can do this in a Vic/GM, but on a Towncar, you can remove the chrome trim around the door handle and get just enough access to reach inside the door and thump the motor. Mine was starting to fail and a solid tap got the motor going enough to wind the window up. If that fixes it, remove the motor, dis-assemble and clean the commutator. Chances are, that'll fix it. But of course if the switch is bad, you're not gonan get jack squat from it. Also, make sure the window switch isn't in the "lock" position up front.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had the same problems as you, and my passenger rear window is also out. I would just replace teh motors. And for your open rear window, Here's what I did. I drilled out the door's center marks to get at the bolts and unbolted the motor and took it out. I just slid the window up and it stays just fine till I get another. That way you wont have an open window in the rain. Its slightly ghetto but its temporary till I get paid.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
        My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

sorry it took so long to reply but i just tested and i do hear a sound when i push the switch for the rear window. in fact i was sitting out there just now and i pushed it and the window went up about 2 inches then stopped but continued to make the sound. so now its down maybe a little over an inch. but now i can grab it and physically move it back down to where it was about 4 inches down and pull it back up to one whereas i couldnt move it by hand at all before. as for the front one no i dont need to use the switch to move it up and down, and pushing the switch makes no sound. so i guess im gonna need to getting 2 new motors? or maybe the back ones motor is good since i do hear it but something else is messed up?

Comment

On mine, both passenger windows made noise, but no worky. Just replace the plastic bushings in the gearbox. Mine were just a pile of pieces parts.
            2000 Grand Marquis LS
            2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
            1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
            Mercury Owners Group member
            Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Yeah, if they make noise, you do not need to replace the motor. Rebuilding them is very simple and cheap. When I needed to wind mine up, I got someone to hold the switch, I opened the door and just put one hand on each side of the glass and picked up on it. As for the other one that doesn't make noise, before you go to replace the motor, unplug the electrical connector and stick a test light across it. If it lights up, then its prolly the motor. If no light, then you need a switch most likely.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X