Speedo Cable...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo Cable...

I just got my custom speedo cable in the mail today!!

Now, how much of a bitch is it to remove and re-run the new cable??

I would take a pic of this beauty, but someone stole my digi
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

IIRC there is just a grommet in the firewall that the cable runs through. Might be a bitch to get through the rats nest of wiring behind the dash though.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

pm me your addy tom so i can mail out that evtm
      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

:bump:

Just a grommet in the firewall, eh? Which way do you push the cable through, inside to out or outside to in? Reason I ask is because of the plug on the end of the cable.

Here's the problem with the '89 CV. From 28mph to about 55mph, I've got this awful buzz in the dash. The speedo still runs smooth. What would be my best bet, replace the speedo cable and see if it still buzzes? I was thinking that if it's the cable that it would buzz all the time. Could I be looking at replacing the actual speedo? Maybe time to put the 140mph one in. You have to pull the speedo to replace the cable, right? All info is appreciated.

Comment

Replace that fucking cable.

The one in GMGT is shot.
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Thanks, Tom. Just ordered it from CQ. Under $20, but I bet it'll be a pain in the ass for me to install. Nothing's ever easy.

Comment

I just oiled the one in my vic.
              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Aren't these cables two piece? I seem to recall some connector under the dash near the firewall.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yes they are and its a whore to get at, but I did it.

Comment

Two pieces? What?

Comment

One piece is what came in the box.

How much of that dry lube should be applied?

Comment

Maybe i'm just hallucinating. For some reason I was thinking they had a 2 piece cable. Not sure where that came from tho.

Does the cable come with lube? it should tell you how much to use if so. Most cables don't require or want lube. Control cables on a boat at least will actually specify "do not lubricate" because it breaks down the cable jacket. Read the instructions that came with the cable.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Your not tweaking out the cable is connected in two pieces deep in the dash. You guys just gotta trust me on this.

Comment

But the replacement ones are a single piece unit? Or does it just replace from the trans to wherever its connected under the dash?

Comment

Okay, what the heck? The replacement that I got is one piece. Even went back and double checked part numbers in the books. Lists '84 and newer with single piece cable. '83 and older apparently had the double. What years did you guys find the double cables on?

Comment

Working...
                              X