Nail in my tire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nail in my tire.

I noticed a vibration in my steering wheel, brake pedal and accelerator. I drove to the nearest gas station to check my tire pressure. It was at 15PSI! I checked my tire for nails, and sure enough, there was one. I did the soapy water test on it and it seems to be a slow leak (small bubbling).

I checked the air pressure this morning and it hasn't changed since I added it.

I brought it to a tire shop an they said it's on the end, thus it needs to be replaced. I checked online on the repairable points and mine seems to be able to be repaired. The tire place said it needs to be within the 3 threads to be repaired, beyond that is I repairable. Is this true? I attracted a photo of the nail below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not even close to the end. Get one of those repair kits and do it yourself in 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
      That's not even close to the end. Get one of those repair kits and do it yourself in 10 minutes.

This is what they showed my by New York State Law.

So it's not a hazard if I patch it myself at that location? I'm just afraid It will blow while I'm driving 90MPH.

Comment

Purchase plugs that use the glue, makes for a better repair. Tire repair industry considers the repair area to include the leading edge of the shoulder... go figure. But tire shops can't sell more tires if they follow that...

If the tire blows at 90mph, something else was wrong with it. I think the crown vic is the only vehicle so far that I have no plugs in any of the tires, usually I end up with a nail within the first month of a new set of tires and have a plug for the life of the tire.

[heres a euro page; http://www.safetyseal.eu/en/products...pair-when.php]

Alex.

Comment

If the nail is the thing in the middle of the outer row of tread, it will do just fine with a plug and rubber cement. I'd be more concerned about the obvious cracking. Is there any cracking on the sidewalls and around the bead?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

You'd be wasting your time with that tire. If the other three are just like that, now is the time to replace 'em. They're practically bald and just look at all the dry rot. Ticking time bombs is what those are.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Practically bald? Theres at least two or three more summers of thread on them. Worthless in snow yes, but good enough to at the very least finish out the season. As for the cracking, I'd want to see a sidewall before I assess that. Every one of my tires has cracking like that on it.

Alex.

Comment

I agree with the tire shop's asstment that it is an unreparable tire if using the inside patch method but a plug yes it will work to get you home but I would for your safety replace the tire.

Comment

Plug the bitch, move the tire on the rear axle, and roll on. Even if the plug lets go and shoots out it will not cause the tire to explode, tires explode not from underinflation but from overheating (which is why one should keep well away from all these idiots running wide offroad tires on dually trucks with the rear sidewalls tight against one another, basically if you can't see an air gap between the rear tires either stay way back or better pass that truck as quick as possible). The other violent failure is caused by the treat tearing off, but that's not something punctures are responsible for either.
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                  The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                    Practically bald? Theres at least two or three more summers of thread on them. Worthless in snow yes, but good enough to at the very least finish out the season. As for the cracking, I'd want to see a sidewall before I assess that. Every one of my tires has cracking like that on it.

Alex.
                    Really Alex? Thought you knew better..

Tread depth is not the way to judge tires, age and dry rot are. Those tires would be terrible in the rain too, turn 'em into tire swings. Think I gotta remind peeps that the tire which damn near killed my fender had twice as much tread depth and the same dry rot. That tread failed where the dry rot was and caused the tread to delaminate. Here's the proof:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170209_165820.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	1281900Click image for larger version

Name:	20170121_130706.jpg
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1281901Click image for larger version

Name:	20170121_130720.jpg
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	1281902

Notice how the sidewall is perfect? I too, used to go by sidewall dry rot until the day that tire let go. Then if you think that was a fluke Ashley's F250 had tires with dry rot in the tread and guess what? They let go too, only it was much worse for her, when the tread let go it wrapped around the radius arm & ripped it right out of it's socket and broke the coil spring too. Don't make me have her send me those pictures...
                    Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 06-16-2017, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      You'd be wasting your time with that tire. If the other three are just like that, now is the time to replace 'em. They're practically bald and just look at all the dry rot. Ticking time bombs is what those are.
                      Dry rot already? I bought them 2 1/2 years ago.

Comment

Yes, dry rot. Look at the cracking in between the treads of the tire.

Comment

That's a nice around town tire - not doing interstate speeds.

Otherwise it's approaching junk status.
                          -Nick M.
                          Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                          03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Yah I wonder what the safe speed is for something like that... Ashley was doing 70 on the expressway for no more than 10 minutes when the tire on her F250 let go. 55?

Comment

I'd plug it without hesitation.

Pick up a plug kit and over inflate the tire. Pull the nail out and jam the plug in there after reaming the hole out a little bit with the provided rasp. refill tire to normal pressure.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X