GS to LS upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS to LS upgrades

I wanted to upgrade some of the things that didn't come with my GS that i had on my LS such as a power antenna, the instrument cluster with lights for low fuel and washer fluid, dome light with the individual lights on the sides, visor mirrors/lights, lighted door lock cylinders, auto climate controll panel, and trip odometer. Did the more basic GM models have the wiring harness' for these features but not the actual equipment? Would i be able to for example swap the existing instrument cluster from an LS and plug it in to the existing harness and it be fully operational?

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Im sure some of these things you can do easy, some not.

I know for sure there are a couple more parts to the low fuel light that I dont think they would include without the option (a relay, additional wiring), also the washer fluid light will need some kind of sensor in the washer fluid tank, and I dont recall ever seening one at the junkyard like that, so it may be hard to find. You'd need to locate one or buy a sensor and modify your own bottle. As for the wiring, youd be best off finding an EVTM and trying to figure out what you do and dont have from that.
    Im allways finding random wire connectors not hooked up to anything, so you never know.

The lighted door lock cylinder might be easy - I heard everything is there for a towncar. I think this is a 2 part deal, one switch in the driver door handle and a connector for the cylinder light is what you need to find.

Lighted visor mirrors may be a good chance - the map/dome light you describe should be plug and play.

Swapping to automatic climate controll will be a huge task - theres lots of additional sensors and different controls to swap out... this one may not be worth it.

Just changing instrument clusters wont do it, but if you find the donor car with the cluster, you can get the extra parts from it. In some cases, it may be a matter of adding wires into some wire harnesses under the hood, but it can be done.

For example - I pulled a new alternator wire harness from a jukyard donor that happened to have a low oil light. The wire for the oil pan sensor is in this harness, but when I installed it, I removed it by taking apart the connector and removing the wire, pin and all. I happened to notice that the other side of the connector (going into the fire wall) does have this wire. To me it looked like if I got the pan fitting and sensor, I could have added this feature with the correct instrument cluster, like you are thinking about.
    Sooo.... it looks like theres a chance its possible, but you will need both ends of the system.

Getting a trip odometer is as simple as finding a cluster with one. If you are talking about a 'tripminder' the little clock/computer deal, these have been added cusessfully to '86 year model panthers and newer, but not yet to an 85 or older (with CFI) that I know of, due to a lack of a fuel flow signal wire.
    The tripminder is plug and play in some cases, but you will have to find the tripminder and get its whole wire harness to plug it right in. if you at least get its connector and pigtails, you can always hard wire it. Theres a good thread in there on tripminder wiring somewhere...

A couple people here have been looking into one or the other of these things and should chime in soon
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
    X