Braking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braking question

I noticed today in the snow that my brakes seem unbalanced. The front would slid in the snow, but if I give a bit more the rear would grab like crazy and stop instantly.
    Is this adjustable?
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Your fronts always stop first, they do the most braking.
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

the brakes suck ass on these cars...

but yes. In general, front brakes do 80% of the braking. And the rears being drums like to lock up quickly compared to discs. You could get a brake bias adjuster, but it prolly isn't worth the time. Get 98-02 brakes on all 4 corners. That'll help!
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Under normal conditions it is much more balanced. There is a ratio of traction, so as you lessen the traction quality of the surface, there becomes an inbalance between the front and the rear.

Comment

I don't understand why people hate on our brakes. No it's not made for motorcrossing, but I can easily lock all 4 up at 60mph.

Comment

Thanks, what if figured.
            Better brakes someday maybe
            2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Have you been in a box with bigger brakes up front and discs on the back? Scott showed me how well they work in his TC, you stop a hell of a lot faster with those than the stock setup. That's why ours sucks.
              '95 Ford Bronco XL -

Comment

Originally posted by BoxMang
                Have you been in a box with bigger brakes up front and discs on the back? Scott showed me how well they work in his TC, you stop a hell of a lot faster with those than the stock setup. That's why ours sucks.
                How are better brakes going to make a car stop faster if the wheels are lock up?

Comment

They didn't lock up when he showed me how well it stops. Just came to a stop real quick.
                  '95 Ford Bronco XL -

Comment

My point is, if your brakes have the ability to lock the wheels up then they have the ability to hold the wheels beyond there maximum level of traction. Which means that the weak link is the tires, not the brakes. I'm not saying big brakes are not worth it. But for daily drivers, police is fine. Beyond that, you are just going to help with your brake fade characteristics, not actualy braking force.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                      My point is, if your brakes have the ability to lock the wheels up then they have the ability to hold the wheels beyond there maximum level of traction. Which means that the weak link is the tires, not the brakes. I'm not saying big brakes are not worth it. But for daily drivers, police is fine. Beyond that, you are just going to help with your brake fade characteristics, not actualy braking force.
                      I concur. On my Park I can easily lock up my stock tires. If and when I go to 245/45/17s maybe the stock brakes won't lock up. And probably that would be best, too much and the wheels lock up and you loose control.
                      If you do alot of agressive driving they would be a benefit because of less fade. If I were towing a large trailer that might be a benefit too, but my camper is small and has electric brakes.
                      2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

I'm running 245 right now on all 4, I have all PI brakes too, and they lock up still.

Comment

Scott's car stops VERY nice for a box.
                          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

What do the PI brakes consist of?
                            Easy upgrade?
                            Do the wagons have this already?
                            2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

11" drums in the rear, and just larger calipers in the front.

Comment

Working...
                              X