Alternator problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator problem...

OK, thought maybe someone had an idea of what the heck is going on with my alternator...

It quits charging, the little battery light comes on....
    I get out and wiggle the two wire plug going to the voltage regulator, it starts charging again... (100 amp alternator, external regulator.. it is the plug for the voltage regulator.) So I thought the plug may be bad, since it was sort of melted and a piece had cracked off of it... So I replaced it...
    spliced it on with crimp connectors and heat shrink tubing...

About 10 minutes into the test drive... the light comes back on, and it quits charging...

Like before, I get out, and wiggle the plug... it starts charging again....

So now I think OK, maybe the plug connections on the alternator is dirty.. so I buy some emory boards, and clean the two male connections on the alternator... No dice.. ten minutes later... it is not charging again!

So my question is, is it the alternaor, or the voltage regulator possibly??? I have the lifetime garauntee alternator from Advanced.. So I go get another one... putting it on in the morning... (I have an extra alternator for a core... so I just went in and swapped them....)

Is the connection on the alternator possibly loose inside the alternator, or maybe the voltage regulator bad??? This is driving me nuts!

This started when I went to TN... And it would stay "on" usually after I wiggled the plug, I had it happen twice on the way up, and once on the way back... i just figured it was a bad plug... so I figured when i replaced the plug, it would fix the problem...

I figured maybe someone had an idea of what was going on with this.. never had one do this before! Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

if wiggling the connector on the regulator make it do it, and you replaced the connector, then replace the regulator! especially if it isnt new.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Agreed. If the plug to the regulator was melted, the regulator might be burnt as well (internal crap). I would just pull the reg out and replace it. Not that expensive IIRC.
      Project \"Fire and Ice\":

1989 LTC

My worst enemies are those who presume me to be harmless. They cannot imagine how much I resent and disdain them, or just how great a threat they would face if I could get at them. Everything in their behavior speaks of insult and presumptuousness, and for now it is all I can do to make constructive use of my anger toward them. At this time, I just make a list of them and keep a watch on. Some day, with the help of time, space, and circumstance, I will be able to humiliate them properly - not in a manner they would enjoy, but in a style calculated to make them wish that they had never been born.

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

It's the plug on the alternator, NOT the regulator that I wiggle and it starts charging... the regulator plug is fine.... Well, I'm going to put the new alternator on and see what happens... and if it STILL does it, i'll replace the regulator....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Re: Alternator problem...

Originally posted by trwp72
          It quits charging, the little battery light comes on....
          I get out and wiggle the two wire plug going to the voltage regulator, it starts charging again...
          I thought a 2 wire voltage regulator sounded strange

its probably the alternator then.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Replaced the alternator today... that was evidently the problem! Charging like a champ now.... Just never had one do that before....

Comment

Probably the connections internally had broken loose. Shoddy solder job or it got hot from the bad connector and melted or something.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X